Topic 21: The sister arts
- The Christian character of medieval literature, painting and architecture.
- Popular genres of Renaissance literature, painting and architecture.
- Shakespearean inspiration in English literature and painting.
- Classical patterns and forms in eighteenth-century literature, art and architecture.
- Social awareness in eighteenth-century literature and art.
- Romantic landscape: painting and poetry.
- Romantic imagination: literature and painting.
- Victorian realism: fiction and painting.
- The literary nature of Victorian art.
- Aestheticism in English literature and art.
- Tradition and innovation in twentieth-century literature, painting and architecture.
- Twentieth-century reinterpretations of earlier literary and artistic works.
Books to consult
For the literary part students should choose from the books
recommended in the bibliographies of the relevant literary topics.
For art and architecture
- Bendiner, Kenneth. An Introduction to Victorian Painting. New Haven and London: Yale UP, 1985.
- Bindman, David. Hogarth. London: Thames and Hudson, 1997.
- Butlin, Martin. William Blake. London: The Tate Gallery, 1978.
- Butlin, Martin and Evelyn Joll. The Paintings of J.M.W. Turner. 2 vols. New Haven and London: Yale UP, 1984.
- Clifton Taylor, Alec. The Cathedrals of England. London: Thames and Hudson, 1979.
- Egri, Péter. Modern Games with Renaissance Forms: from Leonardo and Shakespeare to Warhol and Stoppard. Budapest: Akadémiai Kiadó, 1996.
- Egri, Péter. Value and Form: Comparative Literature, Painting and Music. Budapest: Nemzeti Tankönyvkiadó, 1993.
- Egri, Péter. Text in Context: Literature and the Sister Arts. Budapest: Nemzeti Tankönyvkiadó, 2001.
- Gaunt, William. A Concise History of English Painting. London: Thames and Hudson, 1985.
- Lister, Raymond. Victorian Narrative Paintings. London: Museum Press, 1966.
- Paulson, Ronald. The Art of Hogarth. London: Phaidon, 1975.
- Raine, Kathleen. William Blake. London: Thames and Hudson, 1996.
- Rose, Andrea. The Pre-Raphaelites. London, Phaidon, 1992.
- Rosenthal, Michael. Constable: The Painter and his Landscape. New Haven and London: Yale UP, 1983.
- Summerson, John. Architecture in Britain 1530--1830. London: Penguin, 1991.
- Vaughan, William. Romanticism and Art. London: Thames and Hudson, 1978.
- Watkin, David. English Architecture. A Concise History. London: Thames and Hudson, 1979.
- Wilson, Simon. British Art: from Holbein to the present day. London: The Tate Gallery and The Bodley Head, 1979.
- Wood, Christopher. Victorian Panorama: Paintings of Victorian Life. London: Faber and Faber, 1990.
last edited on Tue Dec 31 23:00:00 CET 2002, by firstname.lastname@example.org