ELTE SEAS

Discussion Forum
It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 6:26 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Will you be able to come to ADS or MUK if there is a BKV strike?
Yes, I live close to the university. 7%  7%  [ 1 ]
Yes, I have a car, or a bicycle with internal heating. 14%  14%  [ 2 ]
Where I live is more than a 30 minute walk from either MUK or ADS. 36%  36%  [ 5 ]
I'll try to hitch-hike. 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
There is no chance for me to even get close if there's no transport. 43%  43%  [ 6 ]
Total votes : 14
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2005 10:39 pm 

Adam Dobay wrote:
We have generally agreed that it's not the sum of the money that ELTE has but the way it handles it (eg. the hundreds of millions spent on international phone bills). :D

Well, the way the money is handled is really outrageous, but I think the problem is structural (i.e. even more serious). See the topic mentioned by Adam for details.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2005 8:37 pm 

R_Gabor wrote:
This whole issue made me wonder, if the entire staff and student body at ELTE BTK went on a strike, maybe we could get some more money to cover heating, photocopying, etc.

We have debated the issue of ELTE's money over at the let's pay tuition fees topic in the student power forum. We have generally agreed that it's not the sum of the money that ELTE has but the way it handles it (eg. the hundreds of millions spent on international phone bills).

R_Gabor wrote:
How about having a day's worth of SEAS classes in the middle of Dózsa György út? Surely some people would notice :)

Yeah, they would honk at us before running us over. Good thinking. Would reduce the problems of the number of students :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2005 8:00 pm 

This whole issue made me wonder, if the entire staff and student body at ELTE BTK went on a strike, maybe we could get some more money to cover heating, photocopying, etc.

Once BME went on a strike, they had all Friday afternoon classes cancelled, but nobody took notice (can't think why :). Teachers actally contemplated moving those classes from Infopark to PetQfi bridge, they might have aroused more attention that way.

How about having a day's worth of SEAS classes in the middle of Dózsa György út? Surely some people would notice :)
Think about it!
Mr. Szigetvári said students are powerful, this could be one way of showing it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2005 5:45 pm 

Thanks God anyway. It makes my life - if not easier - well, at least not worse :)

If they aren't, how could we?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2005 8:51 am 

Adam Dobay wrote:
Yup, see here:

http://index.hu/politika/belfold/budapest/strike0214j/

That is very fun, they almost striked about a lousy six thousand forints (which would have went into improving BKV and the new chip card system, well, not now) when their lowest pay is already 140K, the higher ones being 180K. This disgusts me, when did we go to strike because of our 3500HUF scholarship money? Pathetic.

couldn't agree more...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2005 8:30 am 

Yup, see here:

http://index.hu/politika/belfold/budapest/strike0214j/

That is very fun, they almost striked about a lousy six thousand forints (which would have went into improving BKV and the new chip card system, well, not now) when their lowest pay is already 140K, the higher ones being 180K. This disgusts me, when did we go to strike because of our 3500HUF scholarship money? Pathetic.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2005 8:19 am 

clarika wrote:
Surprise, surprise: BKV and Bp have made a compromise...

Are you sure? Much ado about nothing again?! :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2005 8:09 am 

Surprise, surprise: BKV and Bp have made a compromise...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2005 4:30 pm 

Ancsur2002 wrote:
Well, at that time, I will have 3 different classes in 3 different places, having half an hour travel time between them. It will be impossible to get from ADS to MUK and Kazy in such a short time on foot :(
I think it would be a good idea if we had a day off.

The same is for me. Maybe i'll be able to go to my first lesson (ADS), but it's nearly impossible to get to MUK in time :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2005 2:49 pm 

Well, at that time, I will have 3 different classes in 3 different places, having half an hour travel time between them. It will be impossible to get from ADS to MUK and Kazy in such a short time on foot :(
I think it would be a good idea if we had a day off.

If they aren't, how could we?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2005 12:48 pm 

born_slippy wrote:
I think if it turns out, that the srike will be not only partially (i mean 50%, or just 9 hours etc.), we should mail our tutors.

Possibly a good idea. The trade union's management had said that they do not care about what the court had said about the 100% strike being totally illegal, they will strike as much as they like. Or something similar.
But even if it is just a 50% strike, we'll need to pack up on deodorant for bus 7 (not that it is not needed on regular weekdays).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2005 11:46 pm 

Well, if weather forecasts are anything to go by, it will be much warmer by then, so you won't need internal heating for your bike :)

So hopefully, snowy-icy suburbs will be gone by then. But anyway, it will be a huge problem for many people, I agree.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2005 11:35 pm 

HI Everyone!

I think if it turns out, that the srike will be not only partially (i mean 50%, or just 9 hours etc.), we should mail our tutors. It is also posstible that teachers can't come. It might be a good idea to have the missed classes at another time. Good luck! :D

Post subject: BKV strike
PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2005 8:16 pm 

Hi Adam and Everyone,

I am pretty much embarrassed at this strike, too because - although it would be quite a big problem at any time - it is not too happy to miss right the first classes of the term. :roll:

However, I suppose it will be similarly difficult for teachers to get to the university, so I am not convinced I should be trying to get there by all means.

Ida

Post subject: Does the probable BKV strike @ 15 Feb 2005 effect ELTE?
PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2005 2:07 pm 

I would like to pose a question, as it unfortunately seems inevitable that there be a BKV strike next tuesday at least until 1pm. (On a side note, an acquaintance working in BKV administration tells me that apart from about ten people in the trade union, nobody urged any strike; also, it has been declared by court to be illegal to completely halt BKV's service and to strike for more than eight hours).

Now my problem is, and I think not only mine, that I happen to reside on the distant planet of Hűvösvölgy, from where it takes about an hour to reach ADS using about four different BKV vehicles. Needless to say, if there is no BKV, the two options that remain for me are either that I walk at least three hours in the snowy icy suburbs, or, well, stay home.

I suppose not only other students but some teachers, too, will be unable to come to school that day. Is there any emergency plan at ELTE for this? I would not like to miss my lectures and seminars (and collect one of the three absences I have for them), but if there is no mass transport, I will have no other option.