ELTE SEAS

Discussion Forum
It is currently Thu Nov 23, 2017 6:25 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Post subject: Re: bug?
PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2005 8:04 pm 

kalman wrote:
Yes, this is a bug, but one that I know of, so you could as well call it a feature. :)

Great! I think I am about to understand the speciality of this forum :lol:
Thanks for your answer :) (Really.)

Post subject: Re: bug?
PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2005 7:34 pm 
Site Admin

andris wrote:
I don't know whether it is a bug or not, but recently I observed that if a post a message, I found myself in the FIRST page of the current forum afterwards. I suggest that you change the script because it is quite illogical...
Yes, this is a bug, but one that I know of, so you could as well call it a feature. :) I'm planning to solve it in the near future.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2005 7:33 pm 
Site Admin

ndf wrote:
I did my exam reg. today. Afterwards I received an empty letter from szigetva (to only one of my e-mails instead of two). Is it normal?
No.

Post subject: bug?
PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2005 7:28 pm 

I don't know whether it is a bug or not, but recently I observed that if a post a message, I found myself in the FIRST page of the current forum afterwards. I suggest that you change the script because it is quite illogical...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2004 7:23 pm 

I did my exam reg. today. Afterwards I received an empty letter from szigetva (to only one of my e-mails instead of two). Is it normal?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2004 10:45 pm 

kalman wrote:
If it's open source, you can still get the source. (Note that you also need a Pascal compiler in that case, and such compilers are quite expensive for W**dows.) Or you can get a binary version that was compiled for your system (or a system very similar to yours). If the program you have now is a commercial product (and a legal copy, of course), you are entitled to an upgrade.

Alternative: try to find a different (perhaps newer and better) program that does the same job.

:lol: Good idea, the only problem is that it is an old Hungarian game called 'Revenge' (actually it's a trilogy), and the guy who wrote it lost the source code (I read it on the net)... :cry: :lol: It's not a big problem anyway, I just liked that proggy very much (perhaps I'll try to run it a few times by using a dos system floppy at startup... :) ).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2004 9:43 pm 
Site Admin

ndf wrote:
So, if I'm no mistaken, if I want the program to run under my (new) opsys I would need the source code, so that I would be able to comply it

Yes, I'm afraid so.

ndf wrote:
That would be a problem, because it wasn't written by me...

If it's open source, you can still get the source. (Note that you also need a Pascal compiler in that case, and such compilers are quite expensive for W**dows.) Or you can get a binary version that was compiled for your system (or a system very similar to yours). If the program you have now is a commercial product (and a legal copy, of course), you are entitled to an upgrade.

Alternative: try to find a different (perhaps newer and better) program that does the same job.

ndf wrote:
The .bat file should run anyway? (I've already opened it, and what I found was: "prog.com loadgame", that's all...

Yeah, that's what I thought. The .BAT file is a very simple script which, in this case, just invokes the binary executable program (PROG.COM) with the appropriate parameters (i.e., "loadgame"). What it does is exactly the same as if you typed "PROG.COM loadgame" from the keyboard at the DOS prompt. (.BAT files are interpreted by the same command interpreter, called COMMAND.COM, as the commands you type in at the DOS prompt.)

ndf wrote:
Sorry if I bother you,

It's OK.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2004 9:09 pm 

:D Thx for the exhaustive answer ](by the way I have learnt basic programming :oops: :lol:) . So, if I'm no mistaken, if I want the program to run under my (new) opsys I would need the source code, so that I would be able to comply it :!: :?: That would be a problem, because it wasn't written by me... :cry:

OR/AND

The .bat file should run anyway? (I've already opened it, and what I found was: "prog.com loadgame", that's all... :) )

Sorry if I bother you, just leave me in my misery if you are fed up :!: :) :D :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2004 8:23 pm 
Site Admin

ndf wrote:
not speaking about compatibility...

That's not an issue any more.

ndf wrote:
I tried to run it with a dos prompt, this time it said:
BGI Error: Graphics not initialized (use InitGraph).

Incompatibility with new operating system (a program makes system calls that are handled by the operating system; the form and content of those calls is subject to changes from version to the other). Judging from the error message, it must be some graphics-related incompatibility (and there may be others independently of this.

ndf wrote:
Anyway, what is a complier

A program is written by humans in a (more or less :wink:) readable format, but it is run by machines who prefer a different type of languages, called their `native' or 'machine' language (the situation is more complex, but this is a sensible simplification). A compiler is a program that translates the program that people write (a.k.a. `source code') into something the machine obeys (a.k.a. `native code' or `executable program', hence the extension .EXE). While your source program contains what you want the machine to do in a rather symbolic style, executables like .EXE or .COM files contain rude instructions -- your PC is very good and fast at executing those. However, while the symbolic `source' format is relatively durable (well, mostly -- sigh), the rude instructions include low-level system calls that are very much dependent on what operating system you use.

In sum, it is wise and sometimes inevitable to re-compile a program each time it is migrated (`ported') from one system to other -- at least if you want to run it under the new system :?. Or, for that matter, if you don't move the program, but change/upgrade the operating system.

Well, back to the simplification above: There are programs (a.k.a. `scripts') written by humans which, nevertheless, do not have to be compiled, because the operating system can interpret them (using a program that is called an `interpreter'). Your .BAT files are such human-readable, interpreted programs. They are slow and inefficient, but very portable, and they can be written quickly. (Finally, there are programs that are not written by humans, but translated by compilers, yet not in `native' code, but some other language the machine can interpret; you shouldn't be concerned with those at this stage.)

Best -- LK

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2004 5:45 pm 

kalman wrote:
By the way, I'm totallly ignorant concerning W**dows, I don't have one, I don't use one, and I won't.

You make some point... 8) :lol: I've already thought about trying out Linux but it would take too much time to re-learn everything, not speaking about compatibility... :?

The program does sg. like you said. However, it also has a .com and a .bat file, which also does the same (dos window flashes & than diasappears for good)... :cry: I tried to run it with a dos prompt, this time it said:
BGI Error: Graphics not initialized (use InitGraph).
Sorryly this does not say anything to me.

Anyway, what is a complier (I have some guess, but that's not enough :D )? Can you tell me an exact proggy?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2004 11:35 pm 
Site Admin

ndf wrote:
Is it possible that an old pascal prog (~1996) does not start under Win2000 (However I try it, I do not get more than a flash of the dos window, and thats all...

You mean it compiles without errors, and then hangs when you launch it? It does not seem a good idea to me to try to run the old .EXE file. You should try and recompile it using some modern compiler. If that succeeds, there is no reason why the new .EXE shouldn't run.

By the way, I'm totallly ignorant concerning W**dows, I don't have one, I don't use one, and I won't.

Best -- Kalman

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2004 11:20 pm 

Thx in advance! :)

My newest question: Is it possible that an old pascal prog (~1996) does not start under Win2000 :?: (However I try it, I do not get more than a flash of the dos window, and thats all...:( ) Is there a possible way to solve this problem?

Post subject: Re: Technical Questions
PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2004 11:48 pm 
Site Admin

ndf wrote:
Could it be set somewhere that all the messages are displayed in a reversed chronological order in all the topics? I don't like to move to the end of the page every time I open a topic... :P

Hi,

I mentioned this possibility in my last post in the other topic. I also think it would be nice if this could be configured in each user's profile, but I don't know how much it is worth modifying the phpBB2 code on our own. I'll put this up as a suggestion at the phpBB2 board, and see what happens. Since I'm not a contributor of phpBB2 myself, I guess it is best to leave such innovations to the people involved in its development.

Best -- Kalman

Post subject: Technical Questions
PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2004 11:43 pm 

This could be a topic for discussing technical problems. I don't know if its okay if it would deal with problems not just in connection with this website. ADMIN :?:

My first question: Could it be set somewhere that all the messages are displayed in a reversed chronological order in all the topics? I don't like to move to the end of the page every time I open a topic... :P