ELTE SEAS

Discussion Forum
It is currently Sun Dec 17, 2017 5:10 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2006 1:26 pm 

R_Gabor wrote:
I don't think there's much point in changing the seas3 prereg system since, unfortunately, ETR will take over soon.
It's not only that: seas3 knows very little about students, so the scheme you describe is simply impossible to implement on it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2006 9:31 am 

I have raised these questions before. As for the number of majors, it seems ETR will not ony give preference to double-major students, it will now give extra points for each major, so us three-major students will have better chances than those with "only" two.

As for the years, maybe the best solution would be a system like the one at TTK where every course has a so called "recommended term". This means that if the syllabus says that a certain course should optimally be taken in the fifth term then those who are starting their fifth term get preference over everybody else. I guess this system will be easy to implement in our ETR since the BA/MA system syllabus does say when certain courses should be taken.

I don't think there's much point in changing the seas3 prereg system since, unfortunately, ETR will take over soon.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2006 10:05 pm 

This has already been discussed: if you have one major, you have 8 terms to complete your studies, if you have two, you have 10. All students with 3 completed terms are in category F. But while those who have one major only have 5 terms before them, those with two majors have 7. (I know this is not totally fair still. ETR should have taken over years ago.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2006 9:58 pm 

And what about students with three majors, for example? It is easier for one major students to arrange their timetable, but for me mainly one course matches from every kind of lessons.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2006 2:14 pm 

That's a good point, and it has been raised before. There is, however, no way to check whether somebody has not finished yet because of their own fault, or external reasons. Students in category 0 are disabled students (7 in number) and teaching assistants (also 7 of them), who work for SEAS for free and whose only remuneration is this privilege. Your F now ``counted'' as D, since nobody's category was changed since autumn 2005. The relative ordering remained of course, but there were fewer A and B students since many graduated.

Just go to the classes, being 20th on the waiting list is not totally hopeless.

Post subject: preregistration
PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2006 1:52 pm 

I don't want to criticize this preregistration system because it's still better than nothing but I don't understand why do I have a lower chance of getting in the 3xx courses than those who aren't able to finish their studies in 5, 6 or maybe more than 6 years. English is my only major and I have category F in prereg and I want to (or just wanted to) finish my studies in 4 years but after the prereg results I can't see a real chance for it. The accepted students for the courses were full of those with category 0, A and B. Shall I wait till I belong to the fortunate "B"'s? In this way students will be accumulated and there will be more and more students who run out of time so they have to pay for their studies. Is this the aim of this system? (this was only a rhetorical question) Sorry for I'm being so negative but I'm very upset on the #20 and #30 places of the waiting lists.