ELTE SEAS

Discussion Forum
It is currently Fri Nov 24, 2017 2:07 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2005 4:29 pm 

Dear University Studens,

Trafo House of Contemporary Arts is to welcome studensts who has private lessons on english but look for a quite place for these lessons.
Trafo is at Ferenc Körút Metro stop with blue Metro or with tram number 4/6, at the corner of Liliom and Tűzoltó utca. (At liliom utca 41.)
The lessons can be held in the café between 11 and 18 o'clock every day for free.
For more info please write to fruzsi@trafo.hu

Post subject: Re: student with AM codes into AMN courses?
PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2004 10:49 pm 

kszalay wrote:
Maybe you meant AMN students? Every time I have registered for my courses, all I got was the AM list and nothing else, it is true that several AM courses did have AN and AMN codes, but I never saw AN courses with AM codes...

I do not want to be nitpicky, but I feel it is somehow unfair that upper class AN students take what AM students must take and it does not work the other way around. I never get the chance to register to AN seminars that would interest me.

You're right, AN-3 is not in the AM curriculum (I thought I knew it by heart :oops:). You should approach the head of DAS, who is responsible for deciding which courses are OK for AM/AMN students, and ask her to accept certain AN courses in the AM list. If the AN list is more appealing that's because DES and DELG accept certain AM courses.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2004 10:30 pm 

szigetva wrote:

That's because AM students can take AN courses without any problems (it's in their curriculum). Canadian courses all have an AN code.

Actually, the Catalogue is available while in the making exactly because Iwe want students to tell us if they miss some codes.

Maybe you meant AMN students? Every time I have registered for my courses, all I got was the AM list and nothing else, it is true that several AM courses did have AN and AMN codes, but I never saw AN courses with AM codes...

I do not want to be nitpicky, but I feel it is somehow unfair that upper class AN students take what AM students must take and it does not work the other way around. I never get the chance to register to AN seminars that would interest me.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2004 10:17 pm 

kszalay wrote:
There are/have been 43 courses offered for the AMN students and 28 for AM students according to the online course catalog, e.g. no courses on Canada for AM students.

That's because AM students can take AN courses without any problems (it's in their curriculum). Canadian courses all have an AN code.

Actually, the Catalogue is available while in the making exactly because Iwe want students to tell us if they miss some codes.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2004 10:00 pm 

szigetva wrote:
kszalay wrote:
Does anybody have any idea how can I as a non credit student apply to credit courses of the same major next semester?

You misunderstand: course codes are not finalized yet, all those courses you crave for will have AM codes. Be back next week.

Thanks for such a speedy response, but the case is or rather has been the same this semester as well. There are/have been 43 courses offered for the AMN students and 28 for AM students according to the online course catalog, e.g. no courses on Canada for AM students.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2004 9:55 pm 

kszalay wrote:
Does anybody have any idea how can I as a non credit student apply to credit courses of the same major next semester?

You misunderstand: course codes are not finalized yet, all those courses you crave for will have AM codes. Be back next week.

Post subject: student with AM codes into AMN courses?
PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2004 9:52 pm 

I think it's kind of unfair that they have more courses to choose from, they do overlap, but there are 10 more offered to credit students. I wouldn't be able to get on the list that require an AMN code and not an AM code.

Post subject: workshops next week
PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2004 4:28 pm 

These are for two workshops next week Ms. Federmayer asked to spread the word about, I do apologize about the CAPS, I am just copying and pasting from the original invite for you to read.

ATTN: AMERICAN STUDIES GRADUATE AND UNDERGRADUATE STUDENTS AND PROSPECTIVE AM. STUDIES STUDENTS

ELTE’S DEPARMTENT OF AMERICAN STUDIES IS HAPPY TO ANNOUNCE
A WORKSHOP ON CURRENT TRENDS IN U.S. AMERICAN STUDIES GRADUATE EDUCATION

CONDUCTED BY JANE DESMOND, ASSOCIATE PROFESSOR OF AMERICAN STUDIES AT THE UNIVERSITY OF IOWA, CO-DIRECTOR OF INTERNATIONAL FORUM FOR U.S. STUDIES, AUTHOR OF STAGING TOURISM:BODIES ON DISPLAY FROM WAIKIKI TO SEA WORLD, EDITOR OF DANCING DESIRES AND MEANING IN MOTION.

THE MAIN ISSUES TO BE DISCUSSES WILL BE:
INTELLECTUAL TRENDS
JOB MARKET REQUIREMENTS
HOW TO AVOID PITFALLS WHEN DOING RESEARCH
WHAT IT MEANS TO WRITE AN OUTSTANDING DISSERTATION

AT 6 P.M. ON NOVEMBER 23, 2004
IN ROOM 305, AJTÓSI DÜRER SOR 19-21.

***The other one***

SCHOLARS, PROSPECTIVE SCHOLARS AND INDIVIDUALS INTERESTED IN
CULTURAL ANTHROPOLOGY !

The Department of American Studies and the Department of Cultural Anthropology of ELTE ARE HAPPY TO ANNOUNCE A WORKSHOP

’INTELLECTUAL LEADERSHIP AND PRACTICAL CONCERNS’ ON THE CURRENT STATE OF THE U.S. ANTHROPOLOGICAL COMMUNITY

with
VIRGINIA DOMINGUEZ
PROFESSOR OF ANTHROPOLOGY, UNIVERSITY OF IOWA
CURRENT EDITOR OF THE AMERICAN ETHNOLOGIST
RECENT PRESIDENT OF THE (U.S.) SOCIETY FOR CULTURAL ANTHROPOLOGY

IN ROOM 118
DEPARTMENT OF CULTURAL ANTHROPOLOGY, ELTE
BUDAPEST, KECSKEMÉTI U. 10-12.
from 3 pm to 5 pm NOVEMBER 24, Wednesday, 2004

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2004 10:04 pm 

Yeah, it's a damned good idea. But for the moment my mind is empty, and all my brain functions are stopped.
So I just came to say a hello to you guys. :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2004 9:18 pm 

HUrray :) Let's do it :)) Hmmmm... But what to say.. First, the others should register and use the forum... I hope it will be a succes...
I'm a lazy cat, but I'm willing to help anyone who needs info.
:wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2004 4:48 pm 

So be it! :D

Post subject: American Studies students
PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2004 2:21 pm 

Hi All,

I was thinking about setting up a forum for ourselves, discussing any matter - at least somewhat related to our studies - so that we would make sure our fellow classmates know about what's going on in our department.