ELTE SEAS

Discussion Forum
It is currently Sun Dec 17, 2017 5:02 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2005 3:14 pm 

Could somebody tell me when the marks are entered for Monday's exam?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2005 9:08 pm 

Quote:
If you happened to hear of some questions of earlier exams than its not that difficult to prepare for the exam since he really does use the same questions (or at least some of them). So, good luck!

I don't know anyone who has taken this exam before, so if you could remember some of the questions, it would be great! :)

Please send them to my email: zsustoki@gmail.com

Thanks for your reply!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2005 9:31 pm 

uzs wrote:
Hello everyone

If I'm right today was the first Lojkó History of England II. exam. How did it go? What are your impressions? Is it true that I can throw Roberts&Roberts away?

Thanks for your answers!

Zsuzsi

it wasn't worse than what I expected, if you know what I mean... he said that some 90% of the questions were dragged out of the books (with vocab!) therefore you should understand the questions (I myself didn't even understand such words as "and" or "is" after three hours of concentration, but that's my problem), also, some 60% of the questions were of Lee, 20% of Roberts&Roberts(!!! no comment) 5% of Brittish Heritage and the rest of the material of his lectures (which were misleading in a question but he referred to it and made a suggestion to the possible right answer, so attending his classes weren't punished at last).

If you happened to hear of some questions of earlier exams than its not that difficult to prepare for the exam since he really does use the same questions (or at least some of them). So, good luck!

ps. we almost did an oral exam but others didn't want to... it would have been quite funny though.

angol SzHÉK
angolszhek@gmail.com
http//angolszhek.uw.hu

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2005 12:36 pm 

Hello everyone

If I'm right today was the first Lojkó History of England II. exam. How did it go? What are your impressions? Is it true that I can throw Roberts&Roberts away?

Thanks for your answers!

Zsuzsi

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2005 2:36 pm 

gomba wrote:
hello
is anyone out there who has passed the History of England I. exam? IF yes, how was it? Are there possibly some useful 'handouts' circulating, which I could benefit from? Some notes or exam papers?
Please help!!!

yupp, 20 questions are based on the Frank - Magyarics notes' excerpts the other (about 50) based on the lecture notes (can be found on the Internet under the course description of Andrea Velich) and Roberts&Roberts. And curiously there are some questions that are put in by prof. Miklós Lojkó and I have no idea how you can prepare for those.

angol SzHÉK
angolszhek@gmail.com
http//angolszhek.uw.hu

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2005 9:58 am 

hello
is anyone out there who has passed the History of England I. exam? IF yes, how was it? Are there possibly some useful 'handouts' circulating, which I could benefit from? Some notes or exam papers?
Please help!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2005 5:39 am 

halmtomi wrote:
He obviously does not seriously expect us to read some thirty books including a biography of Edward Heath, two books by Mrs Thatcher, Churchill's six-volume History of WWII etc. Also, many of the "set" texts on the list are quite difficult to access (with a single copy or no copies at all in the SEAS library, and very few copies in any Budapest library). I guess (or rather hope) that Christopher Lee's This Sceptred Isle will be enough.

Anyway, I wasn't there at the first lecture when he probably talked about the exam requirements. So please someone who has been there and remembers what he said please join in this discussion and dispel our fears! :)

I have been to the first lecture. That's my problem. He talked about how difficoult the test questions will be (very dif.). Didn't mention any set readings, that's why I asked about R&R. Anyways, probably CL will be fine. Oh, and he mentioned that he rotates some 50% of the test questions so if we have access to earlier tests, that might be helpful (he recollects the tests, so it's not that easy).

angol SzHÉK
angolszhek@gmail.com
http//angolszhek.uw.hu

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2005 11:49 am 

He obviously does not seriously expect us to read some thirty books including a biography of Edward Heath, two books by Mrs Thatcher, Churchill's six-volume History of WWII etc. Also, many of the "set" texts on the list are quite difficult to access (with a single copy or no copies at all in the SEAS library, and very few copies in any Budapest library). I guess (or rather hope) that Christopher Lee's This Sceptred Isle will be enough.

Anyway, I wasn't there at the first lecture when he probably talked about the exam requirements. So please someone who has been there and remembers what he said please join in this discussion and dispel our fears! :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2005 6:13 am 

szigetva wrote:
Teachers must inform you about the obligatory readings for their exams (on the first few weeks of the term, according to the TVSz). Failing or refusing to do so means not abiding by the regulations. In such cases you must turn to the person responsible for that teacher, the head of his/her department. :(

Prof. L did tell what the required reading are, there is a reading list on the portal, my problem is that that it is too much, and I swear all those cannot be read at a time (ie. for one exam). so, officially, he did fulfill the requirements, the problem is that it is not useful, at least for me. :oops:

ndf wrote:
When I did the exam I was told to use Roberts & Roberts and also Christopher Lee's This Screpted Island.

when I asked him about Roberts&Roberts, he almost shouted at me saying that R&R is useless and he cannot even think of where I got the idea of reading it. Actually in the Printing office (it was after first class) the only material available under the name "Lojkó" is (sorry, was) Roberts&Roberts...

angol SzHÉK
angolszhek@gmail.com
http//angolszhek.uw.hu

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 8:57 am 

clarika wrote:
Please, mr. szigetva, don't tell me to turn to prof. Lojkó, I already tried to. Didn't really work.
Teachers must inform you about the obligatory readings for their exams (on the first few weeks of the term, according to the TVSz). Failing or refusing to do so means not abiding by the regulations. In such cases you must turn to the person responsible for that teacher, the head of his/her department. :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 8:07 am 

When I did the exam I was told to use Roberts & Roberts and also Christopher Lee's This Screpted Island. I have to confess that I did not read any of these. Anyway, they are surely good books... :roll: :twisted:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 7:43 am 

Does anyone know what to read for HoE II? There's a huge reading list on http://seas3.elte.hu/catalogue.html , but that cannot be read for a 2 credit course. I mean it is too much! What is compulsory?

Please, mr. szigetva, don't tell me to turn to prof. Lojkó, I already tried to. Didn't really work.

angol SzHÉK
angolszhek@gmail.com
http//angolszhek.uw.hu

Post subject: History of England exam
PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2005 6:47 pm 

Nagyidus, be careful with History of England exams. You have time for them but do not forget that some courses after the Comprehesive Examination Literature (like British Studies) take it as a prerequirement.
And it is not that difficult. I have done both at Mr Lojko and it was not bad at all. There are exams I was much more trobled with.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2005 1:51 pm 

nagyidus wrote:
Thank you very much! :wink: This rumour may qualify as a typical "nem zörög a haraszt" case... :D
Meanwhile, others have also discouraged me from taking up the course, saying that I will certainly have time for it later. It was just the fact that it's only available in the spring term that had made me seriously think.

Not anymore, as far, as I'm concerned. Velich does HE1 and Lojkó does HE2 both lecturing both terms!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2005 11:34 pm 

Thank you very much! :wink: This rumour may qualify as a typical "nem zörög a haraszt" case... :D
Meanwhile, others have also discouraged me from taking up the course, saying that I will certainly have time for it later. It was just the fact that it's only available in the spring term that had made me seriously think.