ELTE SEAS

Discussion Forum
It is currently Sun Nov 19, 2017 9:28 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Post subject: www.lingforum.com
PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 11:15 am 

There is now a linguistics forum dedicated totally to linguistics. For your info... http://www.lingforum.com is the url...

Post subject: DEAL's new homepage
PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2005 6:59 pm 

Check out the <b>new homepage</b> of the <b>Department of English Applied Linguistics</b> with loads of info about the teachers, research projects, PhD programme, teacher training and more. Visit http://ludens.elte.hu/~deal/

Enjoy browsing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 11:59 am 

halmtomi wrote:
But why not have look at the original 1997 edition of English as a Global Language? It's right there in SEAS Library. :)

I'll rush for it first thing on Monday morning!

I'd been thinking about the other too as well, the reviews at amazon.co.uk all say what you do. To be honest, I was a bit afraid of his target being a larger public... but the temptation's been strong all the same. I think I'll have a look at that History after my exams... It seems a good starter for the His of English course I'm so much looking forward to. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 11:27 pm 

flowerstar wrote:
Besides, I want to ask for some books for Christmas. What do we know about David Crystal? (His book, "English as a Global Language" seems to deal with my topic)

That's what Wikipedia knows about him. I read parts of his Cambridge Encyclopaedia of Language (the Hungarian translation, A nyelv enciklopédiája) and I very much liked it. I also bought his The Stories of English, a sort of popular History of English directed at an intelligent lay audience (a művelt közönség számára :) ) Both of them made really absorbing reading. But why not have look at the original 1997 edition of English as a Global Language? It's right there in SEAS Library. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 10:01 pm 

This is indeed sociolinguistics, i.e., applied linguistics. DEAL had Andrea Agnes Remenyi on their staff list, who is a sociolinguist, but, alas, she's away now. I don't know her conditions and I am not entitled to release her email address (but Google's first hit will tell you: :) http://www.google.co.hu/search?hl=hu&q= ... %A9s&meta= ). Your topic may also belong to dialectology, but DELG currently is not strong in the field. You may nevertheless try to approach Dr Nadasdy.

Last edited by szigetva on Thu Dec 01, 2005 11:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 9:03 pm 

Hi all,

I can see someone has already approached you with some question beggining with "I'm interested in this field...." Well, me too. In fact, I'm fond of all kinds of linguistics, and I find it quite hard to decide what to specialize on. Though I'm not much of a teacher, I'm really interested in the other half of the subject, which deals with learning. I've come across a very interesting subject, but besides being a recently discovered one, it doesn't really fit into the field of either theoretical or applied linguistics. This is the topic of English's being a global language, and I'm particularly interested in finding out how it affects the language. It's quite obvious that as non-native speakers speak their own English (especially in Asia), a native speaker has to try to understand it (e.g. if he wants to deal with business questions, etc.).

I asked Judit Kormos what field this question it belongs to, and she said it's closest to sociolinx... As a matter of fact, I like the topic so much that I'd be glad to conduct some research on it... and write my thesis on it.

Do you happen to have any suggestions as to what I should do?
I'm only a second-year student, but I'm finishing my "basic subjects" next term, so it would be good to know what to specialize in :roll:

Besides, I want to ask for some books for Christmas. What do we know about David Crystal? (His book, "English as a Global Language" seems to deal with my topic)

Thanks a lot!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2004 1:04 pm 

ndf wrote:
Well, this is sg, that I would also be interested in... :) If this is true, than I'm ok with the 199, but 299 worries me... :roll:

Just saw on the ``real'' notice board: you can apply for the post at DEAL, deadline: 25 Nov, criteria: 5 terms finished, 4 or 5 in ANN-299. Have a look at the details on the board between ADS 210/a and 210/b.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2004 9:38 pm 

Ancsur2002 wrote:
I heard something that only those who have 4 or better mark for 199 or 299 can't remember can apply to that post... is it true?

You might try asking people who know. I am thinking of the head of DEAL (Dorottya Hollo), or teaching assistants at DEAL (find them at http://seas3.elte.hu/cgi-bin/dir.pl?deptsel=DEAL&search=gyak).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2004 7:20 pm 

Well, this is sg, that I would also be interested in... :) If this is true, than I'm ok with the 199, but 299 worries me... :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2004 7:16 pm 

I heard something that only those who have 4 or better mark for 199 or 299 can't remember can apply to that post... is it true?

If they aren't, how could we?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2004 12:21 am 

ndf wrote:
I would be very much interested in leading a seminar (maybe ac.skills or sg.). Is it possible to get in for an everyday guy (I mean not a genious), or just forget it :?:

You may apply for the post of teaching assistant (demonstrator) at DEAL. It is usually advertised every May/June for the next academic year.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2004 11:16 pm 

I'm just looking for some (future) fellow students who can give some good advise. I am not sure yet about what interest me the most, maybe SLA (less psychology, more didactics :lol:). I would be very much interested in leading a seminar (maybe ac.skills or sg.). Is it possible to get in for an everyday guy (I mean not a genious), or just forget it :?:

Post subject: AppLing
PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2004 2:39 pm 

Hi.

Be a bit more specific plz. What R U interested in? Group dynamics, motivation, SLA or what? R U lookin for books, web pages or fellow appling students?

I've learnt some appling at CETT, and I'm gonna specialize in it. By the way, I'm a supplementary student (AKN).

Post subject: Applied Linguistics
PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2004 11:36 pm 

I'm interested in this field, but as I have not started specializtion, I am interested in what more experienced people can say... So please, if anybody has anything to say, please share it! 8) :)