ELTE SEAS

Discussion Forum
It is currently Mon Nov 20, 2017 8:40 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2005 5:48 pm 

another nice sentence from Wikipedia:

Quote:
Feinstein is a strong proponent of gun control, yet is known to have carried concealed handguns herself with a normally nearly impossible to obtain California carry permit

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 9:38 am 

halmtomi wrote:
The funny thing is, there were some aristocratic families in Hungary who just couldn't make up their minds (even in the 19th century!) how to spell their own names

My junior high homeroom teacher was called Holli Gyuláné, and she told us that the ending of her husband's family name alternates between y and i on a more or less generationly basis.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 6:29 am 

A minor addition: Capitalizing letters recently got a new function in Hungarian. In abbreviated SMS-messages, it means the letter has to be "spoken" (e. g. <LmNtM> = elmentem). According to this "rule", SzMSz would be ambiguous as it should be read as es-zem-es-z.

I know this is going too far, but the discussion just got me started... :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 9:59 pm 

szigetva wrote:
I consistently spell it SzMSz. If I had to spell it according to how that particular SzMSz wanted, I would be inconsistent. :D

The funny thing is, there were some aristocratic families in Hungary who just couldn't make up their minds (even in the 19th century!) how to spell their own names, like Széchényi and Széchenyi (father and son), the Esterházys in general and Eszterházy Károly (aka Ho Chi Minh :)) etc. And we still spell there names the way they did, however inconsistent that may be. (All right, I know I'm stretching this analogy a bit too far :wink: )

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2005 2:49 pm 

I consistently spell it SzMSz. If I had to spell it according to how that particular SzMSz wanted, I would be inconsistent. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2005 2:43 pm 

szigetva wrote:
halmtomi wrote:
Surely people (and regulations) should be free to choose how their own name is being spelt
Oh no! That leads to inconsistency. Different SzMSz's will "tell" you differently.

Aren't you saying the same thing? I mean, there are different SZ/zMSZ/z's.

angol SzHÉK
angolszhek@gmail.com
http//angolszhek.uw.hu

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2005 10:45 pm 

halmtomi wrote:
(S for Sh in english) [...] just looks ugly
To you. What about HMS for "His/Her Majesty's Ship" or OCR for "Optical Character Recognition", PE for "Physical Education", and the list is endless. It's just a matter of convention.

halmtomi wrote:
Surely people (and regulations) should be free to choose how their own name is being spelt
Oh no! That leads to inconsistency. Different SzMSz's will "tell" you differently.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2005 10:34 pm 

Well, it's fine to use the first two graphemes in an abbreviation for the sake of clarity (Fr. in German) but it's inelegant (to put it mildly :wink:) to split a grapheme arbitrarily for the sake of brevity (S for Sh in english).
It's a bit like ending a line with an opening bracket (
like this). Nothing wrong with it in principle, it just looks ugly :twisted:

Another possible explanation of the popularity of SZDSZ (I mean the spelling, not the party :) ) is that people are lazy and it' easier to once push and hold Shift then push it several times.

And by the way, you are being to hard on poor MHSZ when you spell it MHSz. Surely people (and regulations) should be free to choose how their own name is being spelt :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2005 8:48 am 

On the other hand, names like Friedrich are often abbreviated as Fr. in German. Civilized? :wink: SZDSZ is more widespread because this is what MHSz dictates, and most people follow these suggestions.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2005 10:39 pm 

Capital Z seems to be the more widespread spelling in general cf. SZDSZ, MSZP, and (almost) never SzDSz, MSzP. The z spelling seems to be the hypercorrect solution. But that's only my personal impression.

A somewhat similar story: I was quite appalled when I first realized that names starting with Sh are abbreviated as S in English, like GBS for GB Shaw. Barbaric, isn't it? :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2005 3:55 pm 

clarika wrote:
Also, my boss at Tétékás Nyúz once shouted with me because I repeatedly changed the Z form to the z form.
Yes, there are unfortunately many people who amuse themselves and show off their erudition by criticizing the native language use or, in your case, the spelling of others. Don't take it seriously, it is their problem, not yours. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2005 3:43 pm 

szigetva wrote:
It depends on what you mean by "properly". MHSz 11. par. 283 says it is TVSZ and SZMSZ. But if you prefer otherwise, spell it otherwise, MHSz has no legal force. I prefer TVSz and SzMSz.

I was asking because TTK uses SZMSZ while BTK uses SzMSz which I found weird. Also, my boss at Tétékás Nyúz once shouted with me because I repeatedly changed the Z form to the z form (because I saw this version more...) based on MHSZ. Thought I might ask.

angol SzHÉK
angolszhek@gmail.com
http//angolszhek.uw.hu

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2005 2:40 pm 

It depends on what you mean by "properly". MHSz 11. par. 283 says it is TVSZ and SZMSZ. But if you prefer otherwise, spell it otherwise, MHSz has no legal force. I prefer TVSz and SzMSz.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2005 1:52 pm 

I know it's a bit off topic, but how would you properly write down the abbreviation of "Szervezeti és Működési Szabályzat" or "Tanulmányi és Vizsgaszabályzat"? Obviously, the question is, whether to write with a z or Z...

angol SzHÉK
angolszhek@gmail.com
http//angolszhek.uw.hu

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2005 9:32 pm 

Wouldn't be able to quote any, but if anyone wants to watch Star Wars Episode III, pay attention to Yoda! Great examples of topicalisation, really!

angol SzHÉK
angolszhek@gmail.com
http//angolszhek.uw.hu