ELTE SEAS

Discussion Forum
It is currently Thu Nov 23, 2017 6:14 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 69 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 5:54 pm 

Parat wrote:
ETR has been incompatible with our school from the beginning.

Or rather the other way round :wink: There are several universities and faculties in Hungary where ETR actually works.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 2:14 pm 

The delay is also good in the sensethat we'll have time to refine the system. I really think that students with good averages should get the advantage, even if the last recorded average will be from the previous semester.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 2:05 pm 

Why can't it surprise me anymore? ETR has been incompatible with our school from the beginning.

Can we use the SEAS prereg system? That would be such a good thing for students. We're used to it, we know it works--it's great.

I wish we could keep it for even longer.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 9:00 am 

I learned on Tuesday that ETR will not be able to do the preregistration for the autumn term. Next Tuesday's Institute Council meeting will decide what SEAS can do in this situation.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 8:57 am 

And when does it end? :roll: (sorry, I'm a bit absent-minded :))

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 8:56 am 

Might be a silly question, but when does preregistration begin?????? :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 8:25 am 

Thank you!

Maybe the system could use average info from a semester earlier. Or the prereg process could finish later.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 7:04 pm 

There is a technical problem: marks are given till the last day of the exam period, averages are calculated only afterwards. Preregistration finishes sooner. I passed this suggestion to Dr Deri nevertheless.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 4:42 pm 

Yes, and please, do propose the idea that students with better GPAs/averages should get extra points! This would be a huge step towards making registration fair!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 6:26 pm 

halmtomi wrote:
clarika wrote:
This seems to have sense. Still, I cannot, but repeat what I've said before :cry:

As I understand, these regulations have not been accepted yet, so student representatives can propose changes to them, can't they?

yes

angol SzHÉK
angolszhek@gmail.com
http//angolszhek.uw.hu

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 2:48 pm 

clarika wrote:
This seems to have sense. Still, I cannot, but repeat what I've said before :cry:

As I understand, these regulations have not been accepted yet, so student representatives can propose changes to them, can't they?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 6:10 am 

Parat wrote:
clarika wrote:
because they (we) don't really see a better way to do prereg. there is no other way than to have the one that is about to be voted on next Thursday.

OK, but if we accept this as the registration procedure, why not add extra points for a good "average"/GPA:

students with GPA between 4-4.5: [i]+10 points

students with GPA 4.5 or higher: +20 points

That would solve this problem within the new system and would be fair. First semester students are disadvantaged but they have to take first-year courses where everyone else is without these advantages too. Is there a way to add this?

angol SzHÉK
angolszhek@gmail.com
http//angolszhek.uw.hu

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 2:45 pm 

clarika wrote:
because they (we) don't really see a better way to do prereg. there is no other way than to have the one that is about to be voted on next Thursday.

OK, but if we accept this as the registration procedure, why not add extra points for a good "average"/GPA:

students with GPA between 4-4.5: [i]+10 points

students with GPA 4.5 or higher: +20 points

That would solve this problem within the new system and would be fair. First semester students are disadvantaged but they have to take first-year courses where everyone else is without these advantages too. Is there a way to add this?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 11:17 am 

Parat wrote:
You're right, I don't really know my student representatives and they don't know me either. This is our problem.

you don't read this forum, then (and how do you expect anybody to know you without your help. really.). see http://seas3.elte.hu/forum/viewforum.php?f=48

also, you might visit our website at http://angolszhek.fw.hu or write an e-mail to angolszhek@gmail.com
yours,

angol SzHÉK
angolszhek@gmail.com
http//angolszhek.uw.hu

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 11:15 am 

szigetva wrote:
These rules were agreed on by student representatives. Did you vote for them? Will you do so this time?

Mind you the new regulations are not yet accepted. The Faculty Council will vote on 4 May.

8) and I am a member of the Faculty Council. Still, I have to say, as long as there is no better way (and for the whole Faculty, there seems to be no better way) I have to accept this one, though I don't like it either :?

Which is a problem we cannot help. I mean, we have loads (and I mean that) of work helping with the regulations etc. (even if the HÖK people at the "tanulmányi" section are "contra-Szigetva" people against which I try to fight with little achievement) and - partly because there are tough teachers ahead of us - note that 2/3rd of the FC are teachers - partly because they (we) don't really see a better way to do prereg. there is no other way than to have the one that is about to be voted on next Thursday.

Unfortunately, according to our country's notions on fair chances etc. (cf. from last summer, you can become an English mayor with intermediate knowledge of English - from next year, even without that - if you are have English as a minor), there is no way to give advantages to better students. With this I do not agree, but that is how "life" works (or whatever it is at this Univ.)

Might anybody have a better solution that fits most of the students (i.e. not jus him or her), please share it with us. thank you in advance.

angol SzHÉK
angolszhek@gmail.com
http//angolszhek.uw.hu

Last edited by clarika on Sat Apr 29, 2006 11:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 69 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next