ELTE SEAS

Discussion Forum
It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 10:30 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2005 6:23 pm 

Sorry, the message below this one was posted by me, I just forgot to log in. :oops:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2005 6:21 pm 
szigetva wrote:
Departments had a given quota to fill in. This is how they did it.

I know department heads don't read this forum so this is not the best of places to discuss this :wink: , but this is crazy. I mean, the lesson seems to be that if you don't have the capacity to actually deliver what you are offering, you just fill the gaps with whatever is at hand and you are fine. This is cheating by any other name. A very "benign" case of cheating to be sure, but I wonder if would-be AMN students are told in advance that what they get is a 95% American studies track, with 5% filled with something else.

This whole story reminds me of the first-semester course that bears the title 'English and American Culture and History' but is instead about the political systems of the US and Britain. It is a very interesting course and I really liked it, but come on, why can't they call it what it is? :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2005 11:23 am 

Departments had a given quota to fill in. This is how they did it. (Note also, that students specializing in American studies will have twice as much history, but less syntax and phonology, and no applied linguistics. Also note that its only AMN students who have obligatory cognitive linguistics now, while they don't have phonology and syntax.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2005 10:48 am 

I wonder why kognitív nyelvészet was put into the amerikanisztika track. I mean, is kognitív nyelvészet somehow more important/interesting/useful for American studies students than for others?

I also wonder why tudományos írástechnika is reserved for American studies students. Is it a policy of SEAS to give American studies students edge over others in terms of academic writing?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 8:09 am 

Írástechnika is a course about how to write an academic paper. Tipográfia means how to format printed texts. Now, there's a 2-hour phono lecture, there will be a 2- and a 1-hour lecture in phonology. Szövegolvasó szeminárium means a seminar where participants will be doing a close reading of literary texts. Yes, there will be only one lecture in English history and one in American history, and there will be no history of English (note that the current AFN curriculum does not include any history course). Szabad sáv means any nonEnglish/American course (something like közismereti). One of the thesis papers is marked M and is in red, that's for those taking English as a minor, a by-programme beside their major.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 5:56 am 

Just for our information: what does "Írástechnika" and "Tipográfia" mean? Will they truly have 2 more Phonology lectures than we did (/do)? What does "Szövegolvasó szeminárium" mean? Will they truly have only 1 History lecture? What does "Szabad sáv" mean? Why will they have to write 2 thesis papers?

angol SzHÉK
angolszhek@gmail.com
http//angolszhek.uw.hu

Post subject: the new system
PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2005 10:52 pm 

ELTE's (and other Hungarian universities') Fac of Arts is about to introduce a completely new system of studies, including the three degrees of the English/American system: BA, MA, PhD. It seems more and more likely that the BA system will be installed in September 2006. The curriculum SEAS devised is at http://seas3.elte.hu/seas/studies/majors/BA.html The scheme may undergo slight modifications (esp. as regards prerequisites) in the near future.

If interested, have a look and comment.