ELTE SEAS

Discussion Forum
It is currently Wed Nov 22, 2017 3:33 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 67 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2005 11:22 pm 

szigetva wrote:
halmtomi wrote:
Are there going to be seminars like the 3xx.xx ones in the new system?
The list is that of BA courses. The 300 courses go into the MA section.

OK, it seems I'm a functional illiterate, sorry :oops:
szigetva wrote:
halmtomi wrote:
Tipography
Tyography
That's what happens when you tipe while you are tyred :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2005 10:13 pm 

halmtomi wrote:
The list is that of BA courses. The 300 courses go into the MA section.
halmtomi wrote:
Tipography: is it going to be MS Word, LaTeX, both, neither?
Tyography will try to be neutral, afterall it's not relevant how you produce the output, and the course is not about text formatting software. There is planned to be an anti-WYSIWYG tendency, nonetheless.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2005 9:56 pm 

Tipography: is it going to be MS Word, LaTeX, both, neither?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2005 5:44 am 

szigetva wrote:
It is true,however, that linguists changed their share of courses more radically than literature folks (although they also shifted from a genre-based system to a chronologically organized one).

which was, by the way, quite topical.

All in all, I did find the new system very good and proper, really.

angol SzHÉK
angolszhek@gmail.com
http//angolszhek.uw.hu

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2005 7:25 pm 

It's not only the two language history courses that are lost, but also the intro to ling seminar. Currently there's 8 hours of lecture and 10 hours of seminar in the 100-200 range of courses in linguistics. In the BA plan there are 8 hours of lecture and 8 hours of seminar, i.e., 2 hours of seminar less.

In the literature section the loss is that some of the lectures become 1 hours/week, but there are two extra 2-hour seminars. In the history section one of the two lectures is lost.

So it can hardly be said that this is a shift from literature to linguistics. It is true,however, that linguists changed their share of courses more radically than literature folks (although they also shifted from a genre-based system to a chronologically organized one).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2005 6:37 pm 

OK, am I right when I say that they won't have a ling.intro seminar but a phon.3 and a sin.3 seminar instead (or whatever)? This is quite a big shift from a lit.based curriculum to a ling.based one - if we count the phon.2,too, even if without the hist.lang - by the way, cett students do have to take the uslit. exams plus the mod.lit. (ok, its more likely making the two to be in equilibrium - if we (wrongly) count history courses as parts of lit.).

angol SzHÉK
angolszhek@gmail.com
http//angolszhek.uw.hu

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2005 5:27 pm 

szigetva wrote:
halmtomi wrote:
This whole story reminds me of the first-semester course that bears the title 'English and American Culture and History' but is instead about the political systems of the US and Britain. It is a very interesting course and I really liked it, but come on, why can't they call it what it is? :?
At your service: the course is appropriately named in the BA list.

I am delighted! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2005 2:48 pm 

halmtomi wrote:
This whole story reminds me of the first-semester course that bears the title 'English and American Culture and History' but is instead about the political systems of the US and Britain. It is a very interesting course and I really liked it, but come on, why can't they call it what it is? :?
At your service: the course is appropriately named in the BA list.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2005 2:10 pm 

thanx, I will represent this view :lol:

angol SzHÉK
angolszhek@gmail.com
http//angolszhek.uw.hu

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2005 1:26 pm 

astonished?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2005 6:16 am 

Dear All,

if you want to have a word in what'll be the next system, I would gladly recieve your comments on it since on 8 Nov. IC will discuss it (and SzHÉK would be astonished to represent your views!
yours,

angol SzHÉK
angolszhek@gmail.com
http//angolszhek.uw.hu

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2005 5:04 am 

szigetva wrote:
halmtomi wrote:
And you say this professor-centred system is reemerging again? :?
I just read the changes proposed for the ELTE SzMSz ("constitution") introducing something called professzura. I believe this is a nationwide change. I don't see the advantages (or disadvantages) though. (But we're going off-topic.)

well, this professzúra stuff is prof Klinghammer's idea of the ideal univ. so it might be only at ELTE. but since he's chair of the rektori konf. he might have spread the idea...

angol SzHÉK
angolszhek@gmail.com
http//angolszhek.uw.hu

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2005 10:18 pm 

halmtomi wrote:
And you say this professor-centred system is reemerging again? :?
I just read the changes proposed for the ELTE SzMSz ("constitution") introducing something called professzura. I believe this is a nationwide change. I don't see the advantages (or disadvantages) though. (But we're going off-topic.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2005 10:03 pm 

I see your point. Probably I was a bit rash in my judgment. Nevertheless, I'd like to emphasize that my original problem was with courses being pushed into programmes where they apparently do not belong, which, I still contend, is a questionable practice.

szigetva wrote:
Universities are unique places. Not so long ago departments were built around a professor, he (practically never she) had assistants, they all were teaching what he had to say. (A similar system is beginning to evolve currently.) This is still the case at many places: X from Y (I can give you names privately) was surprised that members of DELG were allowed to do research on what they wanted, at their department the professor let people do what he wanted.

Thanks for these pieces of information. This is a facet of university life most students have relatively little knowledge about. And you say this professor-centred system is reemerging again? :? You mean in Hungary or in the world in general or where exactly? This is all the more intriguing since we are supposedly moving away from the (supposedly) autocratic "Prussian" system of higher education to the (supposedly) more democratic Anglo-Saxon one.

szigetva wrote:
While it is true that wannabe students rarely examine whether Debrecen or Budapest is better in semantics or phonology, the courses are and will be organized accordingly.

Sure, most of them have no idea what semantics or phonology are about :wink:

szigetva wrote:
And even within the "same" course, say, ANN-242: Nadasdy may spend more time on English unstressed vowels and Torkenczy on syllable structure. Yet both groups of students will be said to have completed identical courses.

That's actually something great. At my other university (BCE), professors were quite jealous about their courses and it would have been unimaginable that two or three of them agree to give the same lecture alternating in a rotating system like here at SEAS.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2005 8:58 pm 

I don't agree. Universities are unique places. Not so long ago departments were built around a professor, he (practically never she) had assistants, they all were teaching what he had to say. (A similar system is beginning to evolve currently.) This is still the case at many places: X from Y (I can give you names privately) was surprised that members of DELG were allowed to do research on what they wanted, at their department the professor let people do what he wanted.

Notice that semantics is not very strong at ELTE SEAS, while it is in Debrecen. They are not so strong in phonology as we are. While it is true that wannabe students rarely examine whether Debrecen or Budapest is better in semantics or phonology, the courses are and will be organized accordingly.

And even within the "same" course, say, ANN-242: Nadasdy may spend more time on English unstressed vowels and Torkenczy on syllable structure. Yet both groups of students will be said to have completed identical courses.

Last year was spent by a committee involving representatives of the 8 universities and 5 colleges around the country running English programmes on working out how much of the 120 English credits of the BA curriculum should be spent on what. All these institutions arranged their courses according to the guidelines agreed on. SEAS was no exception.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 67 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next