ELTE SEAS

Discussion Forum
It is currently Sun Nov 19, 2017 8:00 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 67 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2005 10:05 am 

szigetva wrote:
Now the plans are to have an intake of 590 English BA students in 2006.

Who made this decision? (I'm not interested in the actual person, just the level of decision-making.)
szigetva wrote:
Therefore DELG plans to cut down the number on the three first lectures, before letting the folks go to any seminar. Sounds harsh, but life is tough.

It's OK as long as applicants are told in advance that even if they are accepted as students, their chance of getting a degree is not 95% but something less.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2005 8:55 am 

Adam Dobay wrote:
One more question: how does the BA/MA system fit in with the whole Tanárképzés bit?
That's something of an issue. You cannot become a teacher with a BA, only with an MA. However, you have to know whether you want to become a teacher already when entering the BA level, because if you do, you have to spend your extra credits on that. The BA degree covers 180 credits, of which 120 is provided by your major. How you spend the remaining 60 is in your discretion. If you want to become a teacher at the end, you have to spend 10 on pedagogy/psychology and you had better spend 50 on a minor, since teachers are expected to have two subjects. Then at the MA level, where you have 120 credits altogether, 40 are taken by pedagogy/psychology, and the remaining 80 are divided by the two subjects you will become a teacher of. If you do not wish to become a teacher all 120 credits can be spent on one subject. Which means teachers will get a third of the subject they are going to teach than anybody else. (Quite peculiar a system.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2005 8:48 am 

halmtomi wrote:
I wonder if it's a good idea to drop the intro ling seminar.
You might not know, there was no introling seminar from 1995 to 1997. The reason was that DELG could not staff it. We all felt bad, of course, and reintroduced the course in 1998. Now the plans are to have an intake of 590 English BA students in 2006. That's approximately 30 groups (there aren't enough letters in the alphabet for that :) ) Therefore DELG plans to cut down the number on the three first lectures, before letting the folks go to any seminar. Sounds harsh, but life is tough.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2005 11:45 pm 

I wonder if it's a good idea to drop the intro ling seminar. I mean, intro to linguistics is one of the most difficult courses to cope with for a majority students. I believe the fact that there were seminars helped a lot. For one thing, they forced people to do some work during the study period (szorgalmi időszak). If there's only a lecture, many people won't attend it and they'll have no chances whatsoever at the exam.

And, just as importantly, they provided some personal contact with and continuous feedback and orientation from linguistics teachers. Which is really important, especially in the first year, where many students are just completely lost at university.

Also, from the point of view of DELG, the introling course is where students first meet DELG, and linguistics as such, for that matter. And seminars are really essential if you want to make that first encounter as positive as possible. (Well, at least to me, my introling seminar was a much more positive and decisive experience than was the lecture itself. Which was quite good as well, by the way.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2005 10:52 pm 

One more question: how does the BA/MA system fit in with the whole Tanárképzés bit?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2005 10:16 pm 

Adam Dobay wrote:
but I don't know how many others will and what they will teach in "szabad bölcsészet".
I hear that (theoretical) linguistics will also belong there.
Adam Dobay wrote:
So then the only "large" change at SEAS will be that Amerikanisztika "moves inside" Anglisztika, though only on the diagram as everything basically stays as it is. Right?
Not exactly: students not specializing in AmStud will have about as much American courses as ANN students have now, but students specializing in AmStud will have more of what now are only available for ANN students, e.g., English literature lectures, phonology and syntax, etc.
Adam Dobay wrote:
I'm bad at these things, where do I read the legal stuff? And even more important, will I be able to understand it? (/me bad at legal texts o.o)
clarika will tell you. I'm also not patient enough to make sense of such stuff.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2005 10:01 pm 

Quote:
(Is this what you were interested in? Anything more?)

Yes that was exactly what I was thinking about, thank you. I'm also interested what the individual majors will be going into. I know film, aesthetics, philosophy and communications are going inside szabad bölcsészet, but I don't know how many others will and what they will teach in "szabad bölcsészet".

So then the only "large" change at SEAS will be that Amerikanisztika "moves inside" Anglisztika, though only on the diagram as everything basically stays as it is. Right?

I'm bad at these things, where do I read the legal stuff? And even more important, will I be able to understand it? (/me bad at legal texts o.o)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2005 9:15 pm 

Adam Dobay wrote:
Ah, but I wasn't looking for the exact classes but the changes in general. Like that certain majors will be shortened to an MA level and put under a general BA (if I have heard correctly) and a number of other, large structural changes. But I guess there's nothing about that then.

hmm, why don't you read the laws (you know, the ones that were just denied by the constitutional court), that'd cover everything :)

angol SzHÉK
angolszhek@gmail.com
http//angolszhek.uw.hu

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2005 9:15 pm 

Okay. The Ministry wanted as few entry gates as possible (currently there are some 60). The negotiations resulted in the following possibilities at the Faculty of Arts (in Hungarian):
  • anglisztika
  • germanisztika
  • romanisztika
  • szlavisztika
  • ókori nyelvek
  • keleti nyelvek
  • romológia (only in Pecs)
  • magyar
  • történelem
  • néprajz
  • szabad bölcsészet

A number of subject which are now szak, will be szakirany, i.e., you cannot enter in an amerikanisztika szak, but you can specialize in American studies. In the case of other fields the mergers are more radical, but so is the specialization, e.g., while both students of French and Italian will enter as romanisztika szakos, they will have courses almost exclusively of their own, their degrees will be issued as romanisztika szakos (francia szakirannyal) and ... (olasz szakirannyal).

(Is this what you were interested in? Anything more?)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2005 3:41 pm 

Ah, but I wasn't looking for the exact classes but the changes in general. Like that certain majors will be shortened to an MA level and put under a general BA (if I have heard correctly) and a number of other, large structural changes. But I guess there's nothing about that then.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2005 3:22 pm 

Here's what SEAS has. Each new programme will soon have to submit their curricula, so most must be ready by now. I don't know how others make their lists public, I couldn't even get the other BA programmes in English to publish theirs. :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2005 3:17 pm 

Thank you, that is all I wanted to know.

One more thing (a bit off-topic), is there a website, article, etc. anything that gives information on what exact changes will occur at ELTE? I've only heard rumours and pieces of information from teachers around the university. Either we're not informed quite well or I missed the info myself.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2005 3:04 pm 

We do not foresee any changes in the number of the positions. Changes in people occupying these positions are of course imaginable.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2005 1:59 pm 

Hi I'm currently starting to learn about this whole BA-MA shift, which, as I've learned, deeply changes my other major (film) with a supposedly large amount of structural changes and possible sackings. I want to ask if the shift involves personal changes at SEAS or will everyone stay with only the structure changing?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2005 8:26 am 

halmtomi wrote:
szigetva wrote:
halmtomi wrote:
Are there going to be seminars like the 3xx.xx ones in the new system?
The list is that of BA courses. The 300 courses go into the MA section.

OK, it seems I'm a functional illiterate, sorry :oops:
szigetva wrote:
halmtomi wrote:
Tipography
Tyography
That's what happens when you tipe while you are tyred :D

:) not only when you're tired...

angol SzHÉK
angolszhek@gmail.com
http//angolszhek.uw.hu

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 67 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next