ELTE SEAS

Discussion Forum
It is currently Sun Nov 19, 2017 11:08 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2006 6:01 pm 

Well, correct me if I'm wrong, but the worst thing that could happen to us is that we won't be able to take 3xx classes in linguistics in the next semester. And if we are so keen on taking 3xx classes in linguistics, then we should be able to pass Syntax 2 without an UV, shouldn't we? :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2006 6:41 pm 

Isn't it also possible for the teacher to add students to a list and their results even after it's closed? That's a way of getting around it without a third public date being given isn't it.

Fair enough the student reps were asked and possibly students too, but seriously, asking students in advance when they would prefer the 2 dates without knowledge of whether they will fail the exam or not 1 semester in advance is pretty out-there. It's like asking anyone about what they'll be doing in 6 months time and giving them 2 random dates and asking them "Is this a nice date for you or not? What are you going to be doing on this day?" *shrugs* For something like the comp. ling. exam I'd agree with DELG's first dates and putting it to the end as it is supposed to be the culmination of studies. Still, no worries, 8) things are as they are now.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2006 5:45 pm 

Only if somebody fails on the second occasion. C'mon, DELG originally gave two dates towards the end of the exam period, the second in the last week. Student representatives weren't satisfied and asked for these dates. As far as I know, the students concerned were asked to give their opinion through the kurzusmail.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2006 12:43 pm 

Would it possible to work around this? Say ask for a third exam date?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2006 5:35 am 

I agree. The student(s) concerned will have to come next term.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 10:27 pm 

Quote:
A third date for an exam must be given only if somebody fails that exam, not if he fails another.

Doesn't that totally defeat the purpose of the Comp. Ling. exam though? If the point is supposed to be either the a) averaging of lingusitics course marks or b) taking the actual exam and this requires the Syntax 2 exam mark, and a person can get this mark, but only after the resit then where are they left? Having to forego a semester because the exam that is directly linked to it has no third later date? Hmm. Sounds self-defeating.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 3:13 pm 

The student representatives insisted on these dates, instead of the usual two late dates. A third date for an exam must be given only if somebody fails that exam, not if he fails another.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 3:10 pm 

Just checked out the etr and I've noticed something which may or may not be important- though it might turn out to be something effecting me later on too. So:

Syntax 2 lecture times are for the 6th and 20th of June and then the UV for the 4th of July. Comprehensive exams in ling. are on the 9th and 28th of June.

My question is: what about those people who want to sign up for the Comp. ling exam but need to take up a UV in Syntax 2? Shouldn't there be a third UV date after the 4th of July for those who need to complete both exams?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 6:41 pm 

It was really fair. The questions were similar to the ones you can find in the past papers. So no need to worry if you have either lecture notes or the stuff from seas course material. Good luck!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 2:02 am 

Upper- and lowercase letters; I guess the issue is an interesting reflection of the fact that language is a merely arbitrary sign system...

Well, can anybody enlighten me about the nature of Dr Newson's 'Current Developments' Syntax exam? I couldn't make it on Tuesday, so I'm going to take it in two weeks. How was it?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 3:10 pm 

szigetva wrote:
R_Gabor wrote:
Mr. Newson
Dr. Newson, that is. An important detail.

I've just coined a new phrase: meritocratically correct :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2006 10:33 pm 

I don't agree with that: writing all lowercase is a trendy thing nowadays (cf., e.g., usernames, but some spell the 1sg personal pronoun as i). People often believe that capitalizing words shows respect, and this often leads to ridiculous capitalizations. (Actually, I can't think of any writing system other than Roman/Greek/Cyrillic trio that would distinguish upper and lowercase characters. Are there any?)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2006 10:22 pm 

I guess the point was to emphasize that he's by no means "newson" -- I'm sure he deserves at least a capital letter. So rude to write about such people in such a style... :(

All I know is that it's a fair exam based (mostly) on the lecture notes.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 10:05 pm 

Not that serious. Mr has the connotation 'not Dr.' that's why I didn't want to leave it. Neither did I want to edit it...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 8:17 pm 

Very sorry about that.... I had been awake for about 36 hours when I wrote that, not as if that were an excuse.