ELTE SEAS

Discussion Forum
It is currently Thu Nov 23, 2017 8:23 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 3:16 pm 

Well, of course, that's a possibility. But I'm still better off if I have this 3 counted and don't bother that much about my grade. I'd so much like to take 3xx courses in linguistics. Anyway, it's just a grade -- and it's only disturbing if I think of the "would haves". I vould've needed only one point to get a 4, one day to study for a 5 -- and it would've made my average so beautiful. But if there's nothing else to do, 3xx courses are worth a worse comprehensive grade. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 2:56 pm 

Sit the comprehensive exam in Jan 2007.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 2:52 pm 

Hi all,

I don't want to mess up the forum, but I don't want to start a new topic either. I'm not really familiar with the "rules" of the Comprehensive exam in linx. I'd like to have my average counted, I have also acquired the paper and registered for the latest exam date. But today I wrote a not-so-good syntax2 exam, and I'd like to sit the retake. On the other hand, that's later than the comprehensive. What can I do?

Thx

Flower

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2006 5:51 pm 

Gabor- Thanks, for the message. Well after much running around it seems that (for me at least) it is irrelevant whether there is a later date or not. Now my problem is different :P isn't it always? So I take the exam on the 20th but then I still need the comprehensive exam before my final exam. i went to the TO today and they said I need to get the mark for the comprehensive exam on the SAME day (20th) so that they can do the paperwork for my final exam. Any chance that Dr. Newson would be willing to help me solve this problem? I've asked him of something similar in email but no response yet. Is anything like this possible?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2006 2:25 pm 

I was the representative who negotiated the exam dates. i sent a kurzusmail asking students whether they are satisfied with late dates. Around 10 students said that they surely/probably won't be able to take the exam if there isn't an earlier date because they have to go abroad or submit their marks for a scholarship sooner. Nobody insisted on a date during the last week.

It was up to me to make this decision and I am sorry if the dates still cause problems. However, I think you should try asking the Department to add another exam date even if nobody failed. Since, however, a comprehensive examination requires at least two teachers to be present and half of the commitee must be an associate professor or professor, they may not want to set up one.

Good luck, and please let me know if you couldn't solve the problem, I promise I'll think of something else.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 11:54 am 

Melgirl wrote:
Thanks Clarika. Currently I'm putting my hands together and praying. My final exam has been pushed back to the 28th and I'm juggling things trying to solve problems. Hopefully all will be well.

I'll keep my fingers crossed till then.

angol SzHÉK
angolszhek@gmail.com
http//angolszhek.uw.hu

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2006 6:15 pm 

Thanks Clarika. Currently I'm putting my hands together and praying. My final exam has been pushed back to the 28th and I'm juggling things trying to solve problems. Hopefully all will be well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2006 3:41 pm 

If you want to do the final exam this semester, you cannot have any exams in the last week of the exam period since the last date of final exams is on the 28th of June. On the other hand, if you want to do the final exam and there is no comprehensive exam date beforehand, that would be funny.

angol SzHÉK
angolszhek@gmail.com
http//angolszhek.uw.hu

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2006 9:30 pm 

I see.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2006 9:20 pm 

Quote:
OK, but seriously, then why does it matter to you whether you do your comprehensive exam this semester or the next?

Um, because I want to graduate this year :D and the linguistics is really all that I think of that might stop me :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2006 10:51 am 

Melgirl wrote:
Halmtomi: I couldn't stop laughing.
Quote:
the worst thing that could happen to us is that we won't be able to take 3xx classes in linguistics in the next semester.

That really takes the prize :D Uh huh that's my worst nightmare :P

OK, but seriously, then why does it matter to you whether you do your comprehensive exam this semester or the next?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2006 8:58 pm 

Halmtomi: I couldn't stop laughing.
Quote:
the worst thing that could happen to us is that we won't be able to take 3xx classes in linguistics in the next semester.

That really takes the prize :D Uh huh that's my worst nightmare :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2006 7:20 pm 

:oops: ooooh, sorry, I was forwarded the description in e-mail and that part was missing. Of course, I thought I had the whole thing. Next time i'll check. Thank you for the information though.

This seas website is awsome! I just can't stop admiring it -- every detail's in its place, and we have this coool forum as well! So, to make it short: CONGRATS! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2006 7:14 pm 

No, then you'll get a four, as described here: http://seas3.elte.hu/seas/studies/exams/ANN-259.html

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2006 6:35 pm 

Or we can just lose a whole bunch of credits! :D wooooo!

Now, seriously. I would feel awfully pathetic if I failed Dr Newson's exam and wanted to take the comprehensive exam. Even if it's only an average of my grades... It seems a bit morbid to me. I don't think anyone having passed History of English classes can fail syntax 2.

By the way, do you guys know what "rounded-off" average means (exactly)? I mean if the average of my grades is 3.6, will I get a 3 for the comprehensive? :roll: I souldn't like it...

flower