ELTE SEAS

Discussion Forum
It is currently Wed Nov 22, 2017 3:29 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 67 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2005 4:14 pm 

I don't think you can choose between teíchers.

If they aren't, how could we?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2005 10:15 am 

WOW! I still cannot beleive it, but somehow I managed to pass this semesters' 299 with a 4! I'm more than satisfied with that! :D 8)

Does anyone have some statistics about the 299? I tried to count some things on the table on the notice board, but there were simply too much people there. I don't know why such things are left out... :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2005 9:56 pm 

The difference indeed stems from two systems running simultaneously. AN-299 (i.e., in the old system, for students who entered before 2002) has all courses with a lower code as its prerequisite, and, in turn AN-299 is a prerequisite for all larger codes. This is unfortunate because if someone carefully obeys the restrictions, but happens to fail the 299 once, s/he has to spend a term without being able to take any English course.

In the credit system we have made "tracks", the comprehensive examinations (ANN-219, ANN-259, ANN-299) require only their "own" courses as prerequisites (for details chech the curruculum) and are prerequisites of their "own" 300 courses (i.e., 219 of literature courses, 259 of linguistic courses and 299 of applied linguistic courses.[/url]

Post subject: Re: Prequisites?
PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2005 11:44 am 

Moony wrote:
I'd like to ask about 299 prequisites. Both in the curriculum and in the course catalogue it says the weak prereq. is 208. However if I click onto the linked document in the course catalogue entry, it says that you need to have _all_ 100 and 200 courses. But I have heard of several people taking the exam who did not have all 100 and 200 courses...so I am a bit puzzled... :roll: Does anyone have specific info on these?

As far as I'm concerned, only the language courses are prereqs. (204, 206 and 208 in this order), if you are in the credit system. If not, than it's a bit more difficult, but please take a look at http://seas3.elte.hu/seas/studies/majors/english.html and you'll probably find all answers for your questions:) :wink:

BK

Post subject: Prequisites?
PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2005 10:22 am 

I'd like to ask about 299 prequisites. Both in the curriculum and in the course catalogue it says the weak prereq. is 208. However if I click onto the linked document in the course catalogue entry, it says that you need to have _all_ 100 and 200 courses. But I have heard of several people taking the exam who did not have all 100 and 200 courses...so I am a bit puzzled... :roll: Does anyone have specific info on these?

Post subject: Wednesday (299 written)
PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2005 12:27 pm 

Well... IMHO the letter was not that bad, I expected worse.

As for the essay... well... I think the "thematic aspect" I could ACTUALLY (mind, my opinion!) write about was narrowed down to one.

In fact, I don't think this paragraph was a fortunate choice, it is rather difficult to argue about such issues, isn't it?

All in all, it was not that bad.

Still, I was quite mad, that there is only ONE date for this exam - I happened to be (and still am) seriously ill with tonsilitis and I tell you, it was not the least funny to sit there for 3 solid hours :(

Post subject: video recording
PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2005 12:18 pm 

Happy New Year, Everyone!

Don't know, whether you've already heard about the BEST news about 299 oral examinations... ALL examinees taking the oral exam a.m. will be video recorded. The Department claim, that the aim of this is to study the records, analyse them and set up a standard system for examiners, so that a performance gets the same points when examined by A as when examined by B. Well, so far so good... still, this came as quite a shock to my pair and me, especially because we got the information "second-hand"...

I really hate the idea, but I guess I'll just have to get it down in case I want at least the chance to pass this finally...

What do you guys think? :?

Post subject: oral topic
PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2005 10:47 pm 

Hi EVERYONE! :)

What 3 topics did you have? Who were the examiners? Opinion about them (as examiners)?

Based on your experience, what is the main pitfall of the oral part?

Have you heard about any other oral topics?

Thanx in advance. 8)

Last edited by Norbi on Sat Jan 08, 2005 1:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2005 10:03 pm 

Opinions about wednesday's topic? I think it was an intermediate one; could have been easier, but I have seen some more complicated ones also. Hope I will pass :P

One further advice for my previous post: do not stick closely to the given topic! Try to be independent, just like on the written part... :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2004 12:13 am 

Well, the criteria is not simple, it is graded paralell to the written part (several aspects for which you can get 0-3 points). What is usually said is that you should be able to present an academic level of discussion of a given topic.
Topics could be anything. For example: problems with mobile phones, changes in the family model, advertising a coutry's image, how does a real children's tale look like, etc... :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2004 9:38 pm 

At least you AN (ANN) students have some information about the 299 exam and can sign up for the academic skills courses, but we AKN-ones are a bit lost. I have no idea, for example, what kind of topics can occur on the oral part, or what such a conversation should be like. What is the criteria?
I would be grateful for any (past) topics for the oral part :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2004 12:05 am 

Well, I've heard that from other students too. It seems that I was lucky in this aspect as both my 206 & 208 courses were relevant for the 299. :)

However, I do beleive thet rehearsal is a must, but it is still far less than adequate. I think that making sure that you'll pass the 299 is an impossible option (especially the oral). I mean that there is no such thing as enough rehearsal or background (I know many who spent years in English-speaking countries and failed... :roll: )

Post subject: 299 oral
PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2004 6:02 pm 

I have also failed the oral part. Am trying to rehearse with my pair, although I cannot say this is an easy task...
The only thing I am mad about is the fact, that students are very seldom PREPARED for this exam, since the majority of 204/206/208 seminars (theoretically dedicated to give you advanced academic skills...) are not focused on preparation for the 299 exam, either regarding the written, or the oral part... Naturally, there are some exceptions, yet I do not consider this fair, given that only 15-20 (25 utmost) students fit in seminars. I myself took 204/206/208 courses which focused on entirely different skills. In addition, once I tried to ask a seminar teacher to allow me a couple of times to take part in a seminar which was focused on these tasks, to recover some knowledge - not in an active way, of course. I was turned away. Thus, I really cannot see why we are expected to be perfectly academic and talk in "conference" manner without preparation. Or is a "bölcsész" supposed to be like that??? :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2004 7:04 pm 

what I know is, that talking too much should be avoided.
If you see that your partner talks a lot more than you do, than you HAVE to stop that somehow, by directing the conversation...
at least thats what teachers say.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2004 11:09 pm 

You've got some point :!: When I failed my oral, I also had the feeling, that I was too relaxed. :? And this was topped with the fact that I was a bit overdressed (full suite & other fancy things 8) ). In fact, this is strange, because at the TTK you have to be as elegant as possible on an oral exam :D .

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 67 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next