Discussion Forum
It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 9:28 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 5:50 pm 

Thank you very much for the answers! :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 4:42 pm 

As far as I know - I mean IF things have not changed since 2003 - you still have one more chance and you do not need extra permission for it.

The best of luck!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 10:08 am 

and don't worry!! I was in the same situation in other course but the fourth one was succesful ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 10:06 am 

yes, you have one more chance (without any permission) in this semester or you can take the course in next semester and then do the exam. for the fifth exam (hopefully you will pass before that :) you need a permission.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 10:24 pm 

I'm in the same situation as last year (i.e. failing an exam for the 3rd time, syntax2. anyway...) :cry: and I'm not sure the rules are still the same, the new HKR and the old TvSz confuse me a bit. I read the relevant things there but I don't feel 100% sure so I'd like someone to confirm that I still have one more chance to take the exam. (I took the course for the first time last semester, failed an exam and the retake, now took it again and failed.) So is it still that way that I have the retake and only in case of failing that do I have to apply for a permission from the dean? Thank you in advance for anyone to answer.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 7:58 pm 

cattleya wrote:
xymoxgirl wrote:
*fingers crossed*

I PASSED!!!!:-))))))))))))))))))))))))))

Thank you all for your help, advice and suggestion, once again!!!

At the end I saw syntactic rules everywhere but it was worth revising and trying again. Besides, this time I managed to make the right decision!:-)

Good luck to those who have any exams left!

Great news, glad to hear that! The syntax-retake did come to my mind yesterday and I had good feelings about it! ;)

Good luck for all the others who still have exams left!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 12:48 pm 

xymoxgirl wrote:
*fingers crossed*

I PASSED!!!!:-))))))))))))))))))))))))))

Thank you all for your help, advice and suggestion, once again!!!

At the end I saw syntactic rules everywhere but it was worth revising and trying again. Besides, this time I managed to make the right decision!:-)

Good luck to those who have any exams left!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 12:51 am 

*fingers crossed*

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 2:39 pm 

xymoxgirl wrote:

*sigh*
Oh dear, your problem is very familiar to me. I used to walk in the same shoes myself: in fact, I failed Syntax 1 four times (!well, once I didn't show up but that doesn1t make a difference) so I needed the dean's special permission to take it for the fifth time... And I was not the only one.

However, if I can give you one piece of advice... I think you should definitely go along this semester because
1, Syntax is such a rapidly changing science that that you may have to acquire a number of new theories next semester (let alone that other teacher's have other requirements)
2, and even more importantly, I don't know if I can say such a thing, but Dr. Newson's exams was the one that was the fairest among all the Syntax exams I have ever taken, so to say.

And to show you that there IS light at the end of the tunnel: Syntax 2 is nothing but a pleasant memory to me now, plus I also passed Current Developments in Syntax, with flying colours in fact. Don't worry, you will laugh at it one day.

Good luck!!

Thanks for your comforting words and advice, really. :wink: I met others yesterday who are in the same situation so I know I'm not the only one...Meanwhile I decided to try it again next week because of the reasons mentioned before. I will try my very best now and see next Tuesday what my fate will be...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 12:25 pm 

xymoxgirl wrote:
1, Syntax is such a rapidly changing science that that you may have to acquire a number of new theories next semester (let alone that other teacher's have other requirements)

Well, syntax probably is changing very rapidly, but this doesn't mean that an intro course has to change rapidly too. If you have a look at the spring syntax1 lecture course in the course catalogue, it seems that the course will be based on the very same literature (including Dr Newson's lecture notes), so it should not be very different from this year's course.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 9:11 am 

cattleya wrote:
My very big problem is that I failed syntax 1. exam for the third time today. :-( As the mark hasn't been entered to etr, I do not know whether I can register for a retake or not. What happens in these cases? (I mean, do I need some permission for that if etr lets me register at all? I remember something that one needs a permission for the fourth try).

What I found in TVSz is:

El kell bocsátani a hallgatót a szakról, ha egy a szak képzési ter­­vében szerep­l­ő tan­egy­séget négy (4) érdemjegyszerzési kísér­let­tel sem teljesített.

Another:

A hallgató ugyanabban a vizsgaidőszakban két alkalommal je­lent­­kezhet vizs­gáz­ni, (az utóvizsgát beleértve).

As far as I understand, I have one more chance ( I hope) but I didn't find whether I need a permission for the fourth try or not.

Please help me!! Thank you very much.

*sigh*
Oh dear, your problem is very familiar to me. I used to walk in the same shoes myself: in fact, I failed Syntax 1 four times (!well, once I didn't show up but that doesn1t make a difference) so I needed the dean's special permission to take it for the fifth time... And I was not the only one.

However, if I can give you one piece of advice... I think you should definitely go along this semester because
2, and even more importantly, I don't know if I can say such a thing, but Dr. Newson's exams was the one that was the fairest among all the Syntax exams I have ever taken, so to say.

And to show you that there IS light at the end of the tunnel: Syntax 2 is nothing but a pleasant memory to me now, plus I also passed Current Developments in Syntax, with flying colours in fact. Don't worry, you will laugh at it one day.

Good luck!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 12:07 am 

Thank you so much again. It is good to feel you deal with my situation, really, I'm very grateful.

Well, my decision, I know, but I seem to decide wrong all the time... I really don't know what would be better. Now I have (almost) a week to prepare better, no other exams left, just this one but considering the possibility of failing again... :cry: In the spring term I really don't know how much strength (and time) I will have for studying it from the beginning again. Besides, as far as I know, another teacher is going to held the lectures, so maybe a little different material, requirements etc...

Anyway, the mark is in etr now and it let me register so that part seem to be OK.

I'll think about it, for sure.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 10:17 pm 

You may also consider postponing it for the next term (you'll take it for the third time, an attempt the exam for the fourth: no need for permission), so that you have more time to prepare. Your decision.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 7:40 pm 

That's right

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 6:35 pm 

Thank you very much!!

I took it first last semester, failed the exam and the retake as well and now tried it again for the third time ( so 3 altogether). So now I can take the retake without permission, if I understand it well?