ELTE SEAS

Discussion Forum
It is currently Wed Nov 22, 2017 1:40 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 6:31 pm 

halmtomi wrote:
Maybe I'm naive but is there really nothing that can be done in such a case? I understand why no one dares to criticize the dean openly, but what about leaking the story to the press? I mean, that's what the press is for: checking such abuses of power. Or does the dean yield such power that he could punish the whole SEAS for such an anonymous leak?

no, there is nothing to be done, when the ones who could do something don't do anything.

angol SzHÉK
angolszhek@gmail.com
http//angolszhek.uw.hu

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 12:34 am 

Correct me if I'm wrong, but as far as I know no one has legal power over the university. There were multiple things in the past years in the media considering some of ELTE's supposedly illegitimate steps (like backwards and unilaterally modifying the student contracts by making some of the students pay for their studies) and it turned out that about the only thing the ministry can do is say "Ejnye, bejnye". Anything more is against the autonomy of the university and as such antidemocratic and evil.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 12:12 am 

R_Gabor wrote:
szigetva wrote:
Unfortunately, when the building was divided between SEAS and the German Institute, the dean happened to be the head of the latter. (Yes, that's exactly what I mean.)

I remember that day clearly (I was working at the HÖK office back then and the German SzHÉK members told me the story). One day Professor Manherz layed out the plans of the new building at their Institute Council and the teachers got to literally point at the rooms they wanted (one by one, based on how much influence they had, starting with the student reps who got the best office with a porch :) ).

It seems SEAS will have to make do with what's left.

Maybe I'm naive but is there really nothing that can be done in such a case? I understand why no one dares to criticize the dean openly, but what about leaking the story to the press? I mean, that's what the press is for: checking such abuses of power. Or does the dean yield such power that he could punish the whole SEAS for such an anonymous leak?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 10:37 am 

R_Gabor wrote:
szigetva wrote:
Unfortunately, when the building was divided between SEAS and the German Institute, the dean happened to be the head of the latter. (Yes, that's exactly what I mean.)

I remember that day clearly (I was working at the HÖK office back then and the German SzHÉK members told me the story). One day Professor Manherz layed out the plans of the new building at their Institute Council and the teachers got to literally point at the rooms they wanted (one by one, based on how much influence they had, starting with the student reps who got the best office with a porch :) ).

oh, yes, and I also remember some of the SEAS teachers complaining about this and they were made to keep quite... one of the last acts of prof. Manherz before leaving to the ministry...

And I also remember arguments on every quadratmeter of the room that was left for SEAS... kitchens, toalets, whatevers.

angol SzHÉK
angolszhek@gmail.com
http//angolszhek.uw.hu

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2006 10:14 pm 

szigetva wrote:
Classes run by current staff, or Oxford professors? :shock:

Oh but of course with all the same staff! We could re-enact historical battles at their original locations with Professor Lojkó or have drama classes at Stratford-upon-Avon with Professor Kállay or, well, observe the linking R on location as well.

biainili wrote:
And what about invading different colleges in Cambridge? Let us choose so that they will have enough space for us in all places! :D

Well we could take classes in backwards archery. ELTE Sporttelep needs some usable sports classes anyway.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2006 9:57 pm 

szigetva wrote:

Of course current ones, we only want space. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2006 9:56 pm 

Adam Dobay wrote:
I know. Let's give all the rooms to the German Institute and move all SEAS classes to Oxford. That'd be inspiring, a good way to enhance language studies, and the university can pay our plane tickets with all of the unused money. :lol:

And what about invading different colleges in Cambridge? Let us choose so that they will have enough space for us in all places! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2006 9:49 pm 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2006 9:44 pm 

I know. Let's give all the rooms to the German Institute and move all SEAS classes to Oxford. That'd be inspiring, a good way to enhance language studies, and the university can pay our plane tickets with all of the unused money. :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2006 9:37 pm 

R_Gabor wrote:
szigetva wrote:

Unbelievable! I cannot imagine it to be so bad, it must have some advantages, the other building. We should somehow be taught in those rooms, and that needs a little space... We cannot have classes in the park instead, if we once move. There will be no park. :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2006 8:11 pm 

szigetva wrote:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2006 7:55 pm 

The plans of the premises are (certainly were) available in ADS 236. There are some bigger classrooms, nothing comparable to ADS 135 and the like. Unfortunately, when the building was divided between SEAS and the German Institute, the dean happened to be the head of the latter. (Yes, that's exactly what I mean.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2006 7:46 pm 

Quote:
The other thing I have heard though was that the new building is not very large especially when compared to the current one, and that there is only room for the offices and not for any larger classrooms, and that we won't have enough rooms to have classes in. Any affirmation/denial on that perhaps?

I found some info on the distribution of rooms, of course, it might change.
http://seas3.elte.hu/seas/administrativ ... 60516.html

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2006 6:22 pm 

Adam Dobay wrote:
biainili wrote:
I even heard that we won't have to go outside (to the street) to reach the other MUK buildings but we can cross the inner park.

Well that is a good idea. I hate the state of Rákóczi út. It's thoroughly icky.
The other thing I have heard though was that the new building is not very large especially when compared to the current one, and that there is only room for the offices and not for any larger classrooms, and that we won't have enough rooms to have classes in. Any affirmation/denial on that perhaps?

Of course, we will have enough rooms for classes, but yes, this is a complicated issue. The reshuffling of rooms caused problems, but as far as I know, the staff already has the exact plans for its even or uneven distribution.
Dr Szigetvári knows it better, I'm sure.

Last edited by biainili on Sun Oct 29, 2006 11:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2006 1:41 pm 

biainili wrote:
I even heard that we won't have to go outside (to the street) to reach the other MUK buildings but we can cross the inner park.

Well that is a good idea. I hate the state of Rákóczi út. It's thoroughly icky.