All times are UTC + 1 hour

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 11:38 am 

Adam Dobay wrote:
Try it out if you don't believe me!

It's really working. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 12:10 am 

Ladies and gentlemen, the Wi-Fi access point at ADS is no longer a dream!

As Dürer Cafe's staff have opened a computer room next to the cafe, they have also installed a wireless router! I was surprised myself that my wireless adapter found a connection, but it did, and it works perfectly fine. Try it out if you don't believe me!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 12:02 am 

R_Gabor wrote:
so that they could be only used for word-processing, email and downloading course materials.

You're absolutely right. It's quite annoying when people have to wait for computers to be able to finish (start, anything) their homeworks etc. while others are checking their new contacts on iwiw, etc. I know it is easy to say with a fix internet background from home, but anyway, those computers are there for students to work (I guess).

By the way, WiFi would still be a good idea, it is not that hard to disable the downloading of video files etc. But it will remain a sweet dream for our university years:) (except for café Dürer, where WiFi is accessible for everybody)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2005 11:17 pm 

R_Gabor wrote:
Last but not least, imagine students net-surfing in corridors while others stand in line for desktops to submit their homeworks.

Well, I beleive, that the situation is much the same rigth now, only between those who has a connection @ home and those who has none. :roll:
Btw you do make some point with the technical side.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2005 12:04 am 

The problem is that the bandwidth of the university is fixed. This means that if a student decides to download videos using the university's connection, he'll slow down the connection of everyone else. The other issue is that while home computers can't be monitored for illegal traffic (such as downloading copyrighted material), those connecting from a static university IP address can and WILL be (I know this from experience). Last but not least, imagine students net-surfing in corridors while others stand in line for desktops to submit their homeworks.

One possible solution might be (although I have no idea if it's possible) to set up some (or all?) of the existing computers so that they could be only used for word-processing, email and downloading course materials.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 10:06 pm 

Well, I'm not an expert in this field, but as far as I know, establishing an open Wi-Fi port is not such a big deal. However, it would surely need a good comupter with a high-speed internet connection that has either an in-built or an external wi-fi port (which, as far as I know is not that expensive). Anyway, if I'm right, than as a default, all wi-fi ports of computers are open to other wi-fi devices, which means that anyone can connect to them (so many people who has such devices are unaware of beeing open to any unwanted 'visitors'), so it must not be that complicated... :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 5:45 pm 

I have no ideas about the technical background of such an installation, but I guess the answer will be that we're staying here for about one more year, it's not worth. Cf. http://seas3.elte.hu/forum/viewtopic.php?t=233

Post subject: Wi-Fi Access Point @ ADS?
PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 5:03 pm 

I've been wondering where to post this.

At MÚK's Communication-Aesthetics-Film Studies corridor I've started to collaborate with Mr. Péter György on the proposal to install a Wireless Internet access point around the corridor so the many important international people who attend the many conferences around there can have immediate access to the internet, and also because then students at MÚK who have laptops could connect to the internet to handle administration, submit homework, etc. without having to wait in line for the mostly full computer rooms. This is a common practice in most of the universities and campuses in Western Europe and in the U.S.
Currently, a letter is being written to the people who administer this at MÚK, and I really do hope they agree with the proposal. A medium-strength wireless access point can be purchased for as low as 9000HUF and high-strength (e.g. to cover a whole building) ones are not very expensive either.

I was wondering if there was a way that ADS could have a similar system installed, as I've seen there is a limit to working computers and there are very long queues there at all times. Also, I've seen that more and more students have purchased notebooks and laptops (from cheaper, low-end ones to even high-end ones), and it would be very useful for a number of people.