ELTE SEAS

Discussion Forum
It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 10:14 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2005 7:10 am 

Ok, listen. You guys talked about working and parental help in the previous topic. Every day, I start lessons at 10:00, and finish at 17:00 or 19:00. So tell me, how can I go to work? Work till midnight, and no sleep, no homework or what? My parents don't even give me money to buy books, since they are expensive, and I don't get money to eat, so I don't eat anything during the day.
Tell me, how did you think that people in a financial situation like me, how could we spend more money, if we don't even have any???!

If they aren't, how could we?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 11:56 pm 

Huh! You could break it down a bit next time... :D

Well, I don't know anything about the 'manpower market' or economic situation in either Australia or New Zealand but in must enormously differ from the figures in Hungary.
The system you described seems to be very practical and even fair but we can't forget that it runs in a long established 'welfare state' with much experience of 'capitalism' (sorry, I couldn't find a more appropriate word...) - if I may hint at Hungarian problems rooting at some 40 damned years.
So for example,

(1) many disagree with the system of 'Diákhitel' because they don't want to start their lives with debts;

(2) it would take extremely huge amounts for the state to cover the whole period of education for the rapidly growing number of students, especially considering the constant problem of 'államháztartási hiány';
/Actually, I don't think present Hungary could afford it at all./

(3) it is hardly possible not to see that there will never be a need for this many university educated people, at least not in the way uni students hope to be able to work one day. So I don't think the state would ever hazard to spend (very much) money which they might never get back.

I didn't mean to get down to economic commentaries because I'm not an expert on this at all. :roll:
It's just commonsense which I think is worth thinking about.

Post subject: How tuition fees could be paid by all
PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 8:04 pm 

Continuing on from the other topic about why don't we pay tuition fees I thought I'd just give my idea for a scheme.
Before people start to complain that this could never work, all I can say is that it does exist in two countries Australia and New Zealand and I happen to think it is a beaut of an idea.
The idea is HECS (forgot the what the acronym stands for). Here's the deal:
University is expensive in both Australia and New Zealand and nobody would be getting higher education if they had to pay upfront for their schooling or if they had to take up loans with high interest. So the government set up this scheme. Lets take the humanities faculties as an example. One year at uni costs $3800 (over half a million forints) to get a BA but obviously very few have this money so universities offer two sorts of places (like here) one for fee-paying and one for non-fee paying students. Those who pay their fees upfront get a 25% discount on their fees. Those who cannot pay take up HECS. The federal government pays your tuition fees (yearly $3800 for approx. 3 yrs) at the end of which you owe the government $11400. But they're nice and they don't charge interest on it (so it is nothing like the diakhitel here nor a student loan). You don't need to pay back a single cent of it until you are making at least $6000 p/a. When you reach the threshold the HECS fee is taken from the taxes you pay. As a young someone or another fresh out of uni makes about $15000 at an average sort of a workplace (and taxes are set at the 33%) you pretty much pay back your tuition fees in about 5 or 6 years. Naturally as uni students in Australia spend only about 14 hours at uni per week (I don't know about others but my average (of contact hours- only being in class) this semester is 20 hours) and a course is worth 6 or 8 credits and not 2 or 3 a majority of the students work pretty much full time saving up for paying back their fees. Of course if you can financially cope you can pay back the fee in bigger chunks so that you don't need to wait so long to have paid it back. Every citizen can get the HECS: young, old, women, men, rich, poor, black, white etc. I'm not suggesting that to solve the universities problems we should be paying huge amounts of money for tuition but a scaled down version of the amounts I listed. Of course even though the students get HECS from the government the universities get substantial funding for each student from the government as well (about $10000 per student per year). Of course as with any system anywhere in the world there are flaws with this, the biggest being that if the government decides to cut uni places to certain universities they pretty much can without anyone stopping them. And they can raise tuition fees whenever they feel like it.
Your views?