They're doing OK 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
I dunno, not that good 24%  24%  [ 4 ]
HÖK? What is it? 29%  29%  [ 5 ]
They suck 35%  35%  [ 6 ]
Total votes : 17
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2005 2:10 pm 

Hello all,
First, to state it clearly... I am not impressed, but am content with the work of our HÖK staff -- or at least with the work of a few of the people employed there.

Secondly,

chilly wrote:
The only thing I know about HÖK is that it exists, that there is a btk.elte.hu web page where I can find more information than at TO pages (or etr) and that they have an offices in our buildings.

I don't know the people being involved in their work. I don't know what they can do for me or what I could do for them.

In a nutshell: they simply don't communicate with students. They should inform university students about their existence. And they should appoint members who keep in touch with these students.

I do have to agree with this... I have always been the type who -- even if I never got involved on account of having too little time (official sports, work, etc) -- at least checked _in advance_ where and to whom I can turn to if I _had_ a problem. I found the HÖK office; I found the people... and informed myself about the topics/ problems that they could help me with.

When the problems _did_ arise, though, they caused disappointment in the topics they were said to be competent in (by themselves... they themselves said they knew of these things)... Mr Szigetvári was the only one who could help me -- and boy, was I ever embarrassed to have to harass him with such meager problems.
(The picture I made then... 2004 sept.)
One single szhék (the one that until today seems the most informed), had some "unofficial way to solve" my problem...
which was "illegal" according to the ELTE TVSZ, but he said it would work... (and by the way, it did). But this isn't what the hök should be about, I thought.

Anyway, I was content with their work, as they _did_ solve my problem -- even if it was kind of awkward and risky.

Nevertheless, the problem remains: I took the time and looked into it... and I had to steal 30 minutes of our szhék's time to get him to explain to me in what / how they can help me when I was a freshman. If all the freshmen did this, they would never have time for anything at the hök office.

The problem of not-communicating should be solved. I was hoping the BTK-HÖK homepage would solve this -- but it doesn't. There are very useful information there... on scholarships, accommodation... everything we need and do use in our everyday attendance at our university. Except for the original cause the HÖK was created for: making school administration easier, clearer for the students.

I loved the info on the HÖK's posters this authumn: at least I got to know the representatives' names who I could turn to (though I wasn't sure who to contact from the list). See, this is what we need... info on who to turn to with which problems. We now know the names of the representatives... we just don't know which problem goes where. CAN it be solved by the HÖK at all? Most students just do not know what you guys are competent in.

A little information... ie, at the beginning of every schoolyear (fall semester) would do HEAPS of good to the reputation of HÖK. Something like a "Get to know how we can help you" information-day?

There... faults listed, solutions suggested.
Hoping,
Saiph :wink:

"There is too much blood in my caffeen-system..." (Papdiné Kollár Erika)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 8:46 am 

Adam Dobay wrote:
Since then, I've taken the time to get to know the individual HÖK members, what they do, and so on. And so have I learned that in most cases the HÖK does want to act in favour of the students, but does not hold a place strong enough in the University's hierarchy to actually be able to achieve anything. On the other hand, I would not like to go into details as to exactly who and where stand in student representation's way.

Hm, Hm. Maybe these are only rumors but I heard that HÖK is in very good relationships with the dean. Actually, they do lots of favors for each other. What these favors' nature is, I cannot tell...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2005 9:05 pm 

My first few encounters with the HÖK, in my very first semester, has left a quite bad feeling in me. To the problems I raised (and they were, as it later turned out, not that complicated), the blonde woman simply kept polishing her pink nails with the reply of "Well, yeah, we've heard about that too, I guess". (Fortunately, that woman does not reside there anymore)

Since then, I've taken the time to get to know the individual HÖK members, what they do, and so on. And so have I learned that in most cases the HÖK does want to act in favour of the students, but does not hold a place strong enough in the University's hierarchy to actually be able to achieve anything. On the other hand, I would not like to go into details as to exactly who and where stand in student representation's way.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2005 6:50 pm 

szigetva wrote:
Sorry, clarika. I knew I was unfair to some when I wrote this. I still maintain that most students couldn't care less for what's going on. Have a look at the participation at HOK elections. And the reason is also clear: people have no motivation to change things since by the time their efforts yield results, they will have left the university. It takes altruist idealists like you to try.

I know, what you were talking about... :? I hear stupid rumours day after day from people who know nothing specific...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2005 9:39 am 

Sorry, clarika. I knew I was unfair to some when I wrote this. I still maintain that most students couldn't care less for what's going on. Have a look at the participation at HOK elections. And the reason is also clear: people have no motivation to change things since by the time their efforts yield results, they will have left the university. It takes altruist idealists like you to try.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2005 8:45 am 

Sorry, I think, that was a bit too much from me... Normally I wouldn't do such things. Its just that I'm so fed up with it, really, and now came the last bit... :oops:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2005 8:32 am 

szigetva wrote:
Do YOU do anything? Do YOU go and vote for student representatives? Do YOU know who you are voting for?

I know, that's unfair, but yes, I think I've done loads of things. Unfortunately, not here but at the TTK. That's why I proposed this question. I mean, I like to think about myself as somebody who does know what's going on university (there are three persons going to Egyetemi tanács, for example: Janka Máté, our HÖK elnök, a PhD student (sorry, forgot his name...) and I - as a journalist.)
Why I decided not to continue the work that I have begun at TTK is that I saw what's going on here...

Another thing that is very unfair to talk about, I know, but true. I've been about 3 times to the HÖK Iroda. None of these times could they solve my problems, nor could they tell me who would be able to (e.g. name and e-mail address or office hours), on the contrary, every time, while waiting for answer, I could answer to a students question where the irodavezető couldn't, every time I was there. Do you consider this OK?

All in all, my main problem is that I cannot get the info I need even if I ask for it. More to say, the two HÖK Iroda's say exactly opposit things which doesn't make my life easier...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2005 12:14 am 

chilly wrote:
DO I have to go there and get this information?
Yes, YOU have to go there and get the information. Do politicians tell you what they are up to? And when they do, do you believe them right away? Isn't it the case that you have to dig up information from independent sources to have a meagre idea of what's going on, at least every four years before the elections?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2005 11:46 pm 

szigetva wrote:
Do YOU do anything? Do YOU go and vote for student representatives? Do YOU know who you are voting for?

DO I have to go there and get this information? Why don't THEY inform me?

The only thing I know about HÖK is that it exists, that there is a btk.elte.hu web page where I can find more information than at TO pages (or etr) and that they have an offices in our buildings.

I don't know the people being involved in their work. I don't know what they can do for me or what I could do for them.

In a nutshell: they simply don't communicate with students. They should inform university students about their existence. And they should appoint members who keep in touch with these students.

HÖK is like a shadow organisation to me. I know they exist, but never had the opportunity to get to know them in 4 years of time now! What a pity!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2005 9:44 pm 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2005 9:34 pm 

I have never heard of anything they HAVE solved. Do they do anything?

If they aren't, how could we?

Post subject: letter to our HÖK
PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2005 2:18 pm 

What I really don't understand is why our student comittee doesn't do anything about ETR (or they simply don't inform us? That's no better...). I mean, they get a lot of money for working instead of us in these situations - that's why we pay them!