ELTE SEAS

Discussion Forum
It is currently Sun Nov 19, 2017 6:06 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 10:46 pm 

Teemeah wrote:
the one who seeks problems in JOKES has to see a psychologist I think. Jokes don't have anything deep, it is YOU who reads somehting into them.

I don't agree. Jokes can hurt, and some jokes are very deep. E.g. József Attila's Éltem - és ebbe más is belehalt már. is a joke and a very deep statement on the human condition at the same time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 6:25 pm 

Pardon me but I don't think that it is my fault that YOU 0219 don't underdtand jokes

Jeesus, these are JOKES guys and not a thesis paper to keep fighting about! If you think the jokes are unfair, complai to those who found them out. I found them pretty good to LAUGH at. The one who seeks problems in JOKES has to see a psychologist I think. Jokes don't have anything deep, it is YOU who reads somehting into them. You know the saying, the real blonde woman is the one who takes blonde jokes seriously....

and also then shall we start quarreling about the prejudice and cruelty of blonde jokes and policemen jokes and mother-in-law jokes? Oh come on, what is the wolrd going to be if we take jokes seriously...?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 5:01 pm 

Halmtomi, there is obvious consensus here between us two. That is all I'm going into as I think we've exhausted the topic of Timea's jokes and instead the thread has moved into territory not connected in any shape or form to the jokes. If 0219 wants to gloat that everyone has left then so be it. have better things to do with my time.

It's been a pleasure Halmtomi.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 11:56 am 

Take it easy, 0219. Some of Timea's jokes were unfair, malicious and prejudiced, that's fine, you made this point, I made this point, what's more, Melgirl agreed. As far as the original topic of discussion was concerned, this thread was about to close with a huge consensus.

I can understand that you are upset with the excesses of political correctness, the aggressiveness of some feminists, the double standards of some liberals (conservatives, communists etc.) etc., I am sometimes too, but this is not reason to go on a rant here and fill this forum with your diatribes about swarthy parasites controlling the media and similar stuff.

And your zeal to prove that you are more intelligent than Melgirl is just plain childish. I mean, who on earth cares which one of you is more intelligent? I for one absolutely don't. This forum is not an intelligence contest.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 10:20 am 

Melgirl wrote:
Seriously what is your problem?

Seriously, you are being disingenuous. The jokes you are defending are patently offensive: they are based on crude stereotypes and deal with such matters as homicide and defecation. Feigning surprise when someone is offended by jokes that are obviously meant to offend is just weak.

Melgirl wrote:
And just because we're in Central Europe it doesn't mean that anyone who disagrees with you has "Soviet-style political psychiatry".

I never alleged that to be the case. This is the board of an educational institution--do not insult the audience’s intelligence. Paraphrases are OK. Straw-man arguments are not.

Melgirl wrote:
Hate to tell you this but I'm one of the most tolerant people you'll ever see around

Instead of addressing my points, you attack my person: you declare that I have “a serious attitude problem,” that I am “aggressive for no reason,” and that I am “hypocritical.” What a paragon of tolerance you are! Who are you kidding? I find your self-serving guile most irritating. You are not “one of the most tolerant people” I’ll "ever see around": you are a politically correct busybody. You want to censor me at least as much as I want to censor you. You cannot silence me. Deal with it.

Melgirl wrote:
jokes that are not inciting hatred against anyone in any way

I dare you to walk up to Bollobás and tell her this innocent joke to “lighten up” her day:
>>Q: Why do women whistle when they are sitting on the toilet?
>>A: It helps them remember which end they need to wipe.
I don’t think she’d appreciate it. I know I don’t like it, and I don’t like the original version posted by Teemeah either.

Melgirl wrote:
(don't bring up Julius Streicher)

Julius Streicher, Julius Streicher, Julius Streicher.

Melgirl wrote:
that really p***es me off.

Ask me if I care.

Melgirl wrote:
You don't want to be silenced but you want others to shut up? Hypocritical is a word which comes to mind.

Should the word hypocritical ever come to your mind again, please consult a dictionary before using it in a sentence you intend to post on this board. (Hint: candor and straightforwardness are near antonyms of hypocrisy.)

Melgirl wrote:
Amongst others.

Look up all of those words too, especially if they are multisyllabic.

Melgirl wrote:
Oh so you really are so that much superior than the rest of humanity? How sad for you.

*Sigh* Straw man (see above)! I think I am better than you, and you think you are better than me. Fair enough. I am not one to posture as an egalitarian, so there is no hypocrisy on my part. Can you say the same for yourself?

Melgirl wrote:
"Jokes to lighten your day" is the name of this thread.

No, the name of the thread is “Jokes to lighten up your day” (emphasis mine). Don’t mess with me: I am a master of the art of copy-and-paste.

Melgirl wrote:
if you'd care to set up another one where you can vent your spleen about all the injustices that superior humans such as yourself have to suffer then I'm sure you'll feel much more at home there.

Wait, I thought I was supposed to be “so that much superior than the rest of humanity”? What is this nonsense about “superior humans”? Why the plural now? Anyhow, sorry, but I prefer to deal with injustices my way. Besides, your lies and non sequiturs are not injustices but nuisances, and they do not deserve a new thread, although I do not mind responding to you in this newly created criticism thread. The only bummer is that you are obviously not in my league, and if I keep humiliating you much longer, people might accuse me of sadism. Are you absolutely incapable of being original and elegant in your obnoxiousness? Read some Mencken, Twain, and Oliver. Then trash me if you can.

Melgirl wrote:
And to close:
Why did the chicken cross the road?
To get to the other side.

Shock and awe, mission accomplished…

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 10:24 pm 

:)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 3:44 pm 

Absolutely right Halmtomi :) This would make an interesting course in itself:
"The philosophy and morality behind humour: ANN 3XX" :lol:

Off to philosophise and moralise about my thesis now :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 3:25 pm 

Of course, these jokes on your list are demeaning and prejudiced too. Probably that's why no one thought of posting such jokes in the forum so far. And it is true that there are much more mean jokes about women than about men. But the right way to reach a more balanced situation is to make less wicked jokes about women, and not to make more wicked jokes about men. But that's enough of moralizing about humour, I guess, so I finish. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 1:15 pm 

It is true that these are not the usual "we are married and hating it" type of jokes. However, take a look at jokes about women/ blondes/ college girls and most of them (incidently you're bound to find more of these than jokes about men is my guess) have women labelled as sex objects, dumb broads, or spiteful and vile creatures. While none of these contain violence they are far more demeaning than suggesting that a handcuffed man is trustworthy. Misandric? No not quite. If the jokes are considered militant and anti-male then how do these qualify?

What's the difference between sorority girls and garbage?
Garbage gets taken out once a week.

What's the difference between a woman having her period and a terrorist?
A: You can negotiate with a terrorist.

What is the difference between sorority girls and hookers?
Sorority girls cost less per score.

What does a sorority girl put behind her ears to make her look more attractive?
Her ankles.

And the list could go on and on. What sort of attitude do these express? Are these considered frightening? Now I don't have any problems with my humour, its self-depricating anyway but there appears to be a difference between "stupid men" jokes where the men aren't the brightest crayons in the box and "stupid women" jokes where women are nothing more than sex objects or dangerous when having their periods. A funny joke about women:

UNDERSTANDING WOMEN (A MAN'S PERSPECTIVE)

I know I'm not going to understand women. I'll never understand how you can take boiling hot wax, pour it onto your upper thigh, rip the hair out by the roots, and still be afraid of a spider.

That I can laugh at. You're right humour isn't about being malicious or intending to harm, or rather shouldn't be, but there are standards of difference at how the two sexes are being presented in jokes too. To cut everything out and be PC in humour is disgusting in itself and not a suggestion. Nor is it to give everyone a free for all.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 12:19 pm 

While I do find 0219's reaction quite paranoid, I must admit that some of Timea's jokes are a bit too aggressive for me too. I mean, they are distinctly different from the usual good-humoured "jokes about marriage" stuff: there is a strong (should I say militant) anti-male tendency in their tone. And I'm sorry to say this, but I find it quite disgusting when humour and hatred are mixed up in any way, no matter what kind of hatred we are talking about. And the jokes about women strangling their husbands in bed, beating them to death or the one about men in handcuffs seem to me to fall into this category: I understand what's the point of humour in them, but I still find them a bit frightening because of the attitude they express. In other words: being funny is no excuse for being prejudiced, malicious and aggressive.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 10:48 am 

Thanks Dr. Szigetvari. Much better here out of the previous thread. That really is just for the jokes :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 10:19 am 

Seriously what is your problem?

And just because we're in Central Europe it doesn't mean that anyone who disagrees with you has "Soviet-style political psychiatry". Hate to tell you this but I'm one of the most tolerant people you'll ever see around but when people get aggressive for no reason and have their own political agenda when attacking people's jokes that are not inciting hatred against anyone in any way (don't bring up Julius Streicher) then that really p***es me off.

You don't want to be silenced but you want others to shut up? Hypocritical is a word which comes to mind. Amongst others.

Oh so you really are so that much superior than the rest of humanity? How sad for you.

"Jokes to lighten your day" is the name of this thread. if you'd care to set up another one where you can vent your spleen about all the injustices that superior humans such as yourself have to suffer then I'm sure you'll feel much more at home there.

And to close:
Why did the chicken cross the road?
To get to the other side.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 6:59 am 

Melgirl wrote:
0219- I think you have a serious attitude problem.

Sounds like Soviet-style political psychiatry: “Don’t like our great workers’ paradise? You must be crazy!”

Melgirl wrote:
What is the world coming to when people don't understand humour?

Why don’t you ask Julius Streicher? Oh, you can’t: he was hanged for his jokes in 1946.

Melgirl wrote:
Or resort to banal reasoning in order to appear superior.

I really do not have to strive hard to appear superior.

Melgirl wrote:
Don't like jokes then stay off this thread.

If you want to silence me, you will have to kill me.

Melgirl wrote:
But I have 1 joke that I think you might like:
What's the smartest thing a man can say?
"My wife says..."

Come on, you can do better than that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 12:49 am 

Teemeah and Agnus- great stuff :lol:

0219- I think you have a serious attitude problem. May I suggest you lighten up. What is the world coming to when people don't understand humour?

Or resort to banal reasoning in order to appear superior.

Don't like jokes then stay off this thread.

But I have 1 joke that I think you might like:
What's the smartest thing a man can say?
"My wife says..."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 11:31 pm 

Teemeah wrote:
THE FEMALE PERSPECTIVE:

the female perspective =/= the feminist perspective

Teemeah wrote:
--note: No male was hurt during the writing process of this piece--

Could it be that all that stuff on Talmudvision about women beating up evil, heterosexual white men twice their size is only feminist propaganda?

Teemeah wrote:
>>And they say blondes are dumb...

Who is “they”? The swarthy parasites who control the media and the politically correct lemmings who slavishly follow antiwhite trends, that’s who. Do you have any jokes about Jews or Negroes? I didn’t think so.

Teemeah wrote:
>>Q: What do you call a handcuffed man?
>>A: Trustworthy.

What do you call a dead feminist?

Teemeah wrote:
>>Q: Why do men whistle when they are sitting on the toilet?
>>A: It helps them remember which end they need to wipe.

Oh, potty humor: how kosher! Wanna work for Murray Rothstein?