ELTE SEAS

Discussion Forum
It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 9:31 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Post subject: IBM laptop for sale
PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2005 2:47 pm 

Some of you might have seen me before typing lectures in my IBM laptop in Room 135 the past years. That computer is what I have decided to sell, and to someone who needs it the most. I know this is not a forum for such things but I really have developed a bond with this very useful appliance and do not want to give it away to someone who will take it to pieces and sell them off at Ecseri.

The laptop is an IBM ED370, containing a Pentium MMX processor running at 166Mhz. The basic RAM capacity has been extended to 80 megabytes, the hard drive has 2 gigabytes in space altogether. It has a built-in floppy disk drive (quite fast), a CD-ROM drive (12x speed) and a sound card. The monitor is LCD with adjustable contrast and a maximum display depth of 800x600.

The most crucial part, the battery has been replaced and tweaked, about a year ago, to about three times the durability of the original. Original batteries for this generation of laptop computers last about an hour and a half at maximum, but with the tweaked battery the machine can run up to about three and a half hours unplugged, which is very useful if you have two lectures in Room 135 where there is nowhere to plug in.

The computer comes with two PCMCIA slots, for which an added extra is a PCMCIA LAN card that can join a network of computers and also it can be used for any ADSL internet connection (which I have been using it for). It runs Windows 98 and Windows 98 Second Edition efficiently (may even run Windows 2000 and or ME).

You can guess from the RAM that you can't use the computer for video editing and the like, but it's perfect for taking notes, creating simple graphics, editing web sites or programming. If you like to play games in between two classes the computer is very good at running old DOS games or emulating console games.

The laptop originally cost 75000HUF, the extra RAM was 16000HUF, the LAN card was 12000HUF and the battery tweaking was also 16000HUF. Oh, and it comes with its nice laptop bag, too, which can hold the laptop, the cables, some floppy disk and there is room for textbooks as well. I am thinking of selling it at the 80000-90000HUF price range, but it may go lower if preferred. I am aware that there are laptops available at slightly lower prices in the same category but about ninety percent of those either come with a broken display or an outdated battery.

I am also able to give additional specifications if necessary.

Adam Dobay