ELTE SEAS

Discussion Forum
It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 12:57 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour

What do you think about the SEAS prereg procedure?
Perfect 52%  52%  [ 15 ]
Worked for me, but many it sucks 28%  28%  [ 8 ]
It just sucks 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Pretty bad, but no better solution 3%  3%  [ 1 ]
Pretty bad, and I know how to improve it 7%  7%  [ 2 ]
I live happily without it 10%  10%  [ 3 ]
Total votes : 29
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2005 3:59 pm 

I'm also sad to hear that you guys might be leaving. You've been doing a good job directing this department of ELTE--one of the few parts that are actually working. I hope that if we'll have new directors, they'll have similar conceptions of how a University should be run in the 21st century--even if we're talking about a Hungarian university.

I wonder if the fact that many of our professors have worked in the UK and the US has something to do with what I've been getting at, ie going to SEAS almost feels like going to school in Western Europe or in the States (not in all respects of university life though). But if this is true, all the modern language departments should have the same ambience, which my double language major friends tell me few do.

Good job anyway.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2005 12:40 pm 

Sure, but we're going way off the topic.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2005 11:53 am 

clarika wrote:
szigetva wrote:
Kallay's -- and thereby my -- mandate expires next summer.

:cry:

But these mandates are renewable, aren't they?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2005 9:50 am 

szigetva wrote:

:cry:

angol SzHÉK
angolszhek@gmail.com
http//angolszhek.uw.hu

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2005 8:50 am 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2005 7:39 pm 

szigetva wrote:
Looking at the complaints in the ETR forums, I think we will keep our system in January 2006. But I can't tell you what my successor will do.

what do you mean by that? are you leaving?

angol SzHÉK
angolszhek@gmail.com
http//angolszhek.uw.hu

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2005 8:46 am 

Looking at the complaints in the ETR forums, I think we will keep our system in January 2006. But I can't tell you what my successor will do.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2005 2:03 pm 

I can see it now. I also cast my vote. I really think that if we're going to keep this place un-chaotic, as we've managed to do it so far, we have to keep the system that works (=SEAS preregistration). If this topic is so old, what are the most recent facts? Can we keep this procedure or do we have to submit in the end?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2005 1:58 pm 

Parat wrote:
I can't see where I can vote but if I could I'd give it an A++.
It ended a long time ago (since it was set up in the last preregistration process), but it is reopened.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2005 1:52 pm 

In my view, the SEAS preregistration procedure is great, and so far as I know, it is the best working online method at BTK. The ETR I believe could be just as good if the Registrar used it well and made sure that the teachers and heads of departments submit all the information on time.

The registrar, however, fails to publish the times of most courses and even the places they're held at. In such a spread out university with campuses on Ajtosi, MUK, Kecskemeti utca, IZU, Kazinczy utca, Menesi ut stb., this is ridiculous and unacceptable. The registrar treats students (age range 18+) as children and as complete idiots. Please don't let ETR take over in SEAS too, that could be disastrous!

I can't see where I can vote but if I could I'd give it an A++.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2005 8:21 pm 

zazie wrote:
But perhaps some changes should be made for double major students. I don't really understand the why they would be two categories higher -- their only advantage is that they can spend two more semesters in category A.

If you are an ANN student who has completed 5 terms you are in category D, irrespective of how many majors you have. But if you have two, you have 5 more terms to go, if you have one majors you only have 3 more terms. I.e., if you have three terms left and you are a double-major student, you are in category B, if you have three terms left and you are a single-major student, you are in category D.

zazie wrote:
What I would really like to know is how I can become into a credit system student. I'm almost 100% sure I won't finish my studies by Spring 2006... But then, if I have to do it anyways, I would like to become a credit-system student as soon as possible.
Deciding such a request is in the competence of the Studies Committee (Tanulmanyi Bizottsag). SEAS has to endorse your request, but that's only a formality.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2005 7:38 pm 

I don't think the ETR system is any better than the seas3 one. I have another major at another faculty (PPK), where ETR is fully functional now. The specifications of the system are different of course, it gives you points in a way that I find a bit complicated, but then I never really tried to fully understand it. It is very advantageous for me as double majors get plus one point, and the sequencing of studies is very strict, so everyone in the same year takes the same subjects, which means that double major students with their plus one point get on top :D

But I don't think that the results part -- as far as I understand and as I experienced it -- is not any better than the in the seas3 system, since until the lists are closed anyone can register for the course and many people register in the last minute. And if they have better points they get in front of you -- the same like in seas3.

As for the seas categories... I think the greatest problem in the lives of double major students is arranging their schedule. When they choose a course they do not only have to think about whether it is possible for them to rise at 8 or 9 am to get to school for 11 or 12 o'clock. They have to harmonize their schedules at the different departments, therefore their choice is much more restricted. (Here I have to mention that SEAS is a wonderful department :D where the details of courses are published at least one week (sometimes even months) before any other department. :D) I think they deserve some concessions for all the troubles they go through in the first few weeks of the semester.

Of course, soon the credit - non-credit system issue will cease to be a problem, as non-credit system students leave the university or transform themselves in some mysterious way into credit system students... But perhaps some changes should be made for double major students. I don't really understand the why they would be two categories higher -- their only advantage is that they can spend two more semesters in category A.. but I'm not sure I understand it well, so correct me if I'm wrong.

What I would really like to know is how I can become into a credit system student. I'm almost 100% sure I won't finish my studies by Spring 2006... But then, if I have to do it anyways, I would like to become a credit-system student as soon as possible.

I asked at Diáktanácsadó and they said I should ask "a tanszéken".

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 8:53 pm 

The idea was that for credit-system students categories according to the number of terms completed will put double-major students two categories higher than single-major students, given that the former have ten, the latter only eight terms to complete their studies. I had no information about the other major of non-credit-system students therefore I put them in between the two types above. I knew this will be unfair to double-major students and unjustly favourable to singe-major students, but had no better idea. But you can convince me.

As for the ETR, if it worked properly it would be better than seas3, since it gives you some result immediately. And it must be working properly one day.

Post subject: prereg system
PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2005 4:14 pm 

I think the preregistration system is really good, except for one point: that credit system students have better categories than non-credit system students... I know it is only bad for me and a few fellow halasztó students, who now have the same number of terms as credit system students but are non credit s. students. But it really sucks for us, since we get on the bottom of EVery list. I think it wouldn't be so difficult to change this and it would be only fair.

Otherwise, I think that it would be a BIG mistake to hand this over to the ETR guys... please, don't do it unless it is really necessary!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2005 9:38 pm 

I do not know why only SEAS can do what no other department I have seen can -- except maybe for the film studies dept., where others and I managed to influence the teachers enough to post courses and their times about a week before SEAS preregistration (although that persuasion took about a year, it was worth it). So yay for SEAS, don't let ETR swallow ya.