ELTE SEAS

Discussion Forum
It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 10:25 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2005 5:19 pm 

Okay. The problem is technical. Some double-major students are registered as such (English--Tibetan). Other double-major students are registered as a single-major English AND a single-major Hungarian student (I guess the reason is financial on the university's side). Therefore I have no realiable data about who is who.

I am currently in contact with a communicative ETR person, and as far as I see, it will be possible to get the good points of our preregistration system into the ETR, with further extra features, like the one you mention. It is also my wish that this Friday be the last run of my preregistration script.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2005 5:06 pm 

I see what you mean now, but I still think it's a bit unfair to us.

A single-major student has 8 terms to get 300 credits, 140 of which has to come from SEAS courses. This means he has a lot of "free time" to spend anyway he likes. So if he doesn't get in the courses he preferred, he can still decide what other courses to take that would suit him.
However a double-major may, at the start of a term, have four or five seminars at each of his majors that he has to take no matter what. Since at smaller departments some courses are only taught at 2 or 3 different times in a term, double-majors have enough trouble on their hands trying to set up a weekly schedule without having to worry about whether they will have a spot at courses at SEAS.

The point of my suggestion would be to give students priority over other students in the same year whoa are trying to get in the same course.

The reason I proposed this is that it works at my other major. When there are more people applying for a course , double-majors always have priority and single-majors only have a chance to get in if there are places left. I've only been through one term at ELTE so far, but it seemed to me that this procedure did not bother single-major students at all, since they realize that double-majors have a much harder time rescheduling their classes whenever they are rejected from a course.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2005 4:48 pm 

Exactly. But the point in having cateories is to reflect how many terms the student has left. This is why those students who have fewer terms altogether start higher (chart). Now if you are ANN-1, you are in category H irrespective of whether you have one or two majors. That is, a double-major student who has 9 terms left is in the same category as a single-major student who has 7 terms left, i.e., double-major students have a priority.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2005 4:38 pm 

I'm sorry, but I don't understand.

According to the info on the SEAS site, the category changes only according to the number of terms a student has registered for. This would mean that all students who started this autumn are in the category H regardless of how many majors they have.

I apologize if I had missed something.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2005 3:49 pm 

Double-major students have priority over single-major students, because the former have 10, the latter 8 terms to complete their studies. Thus a double-major student is always two categories ahead a single-major student who started in the same term.

Post subject: suggestion concerning preregistration
PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2005 2:55 pm 

Dear SEAS,

I'm not sure this is the right place to post suggestions about the preregistration procedure, but here it goes anyway...

I admit that the current system is much better than anything on a first-come-first-served basis, but it also means that by the time we get any definite information about where we got in, we have no opportunity to change our preferences (except to courses which have places left, but these are usually unpopular for a reason, e.g. they last until 7 PM).

This presents a problem for students with two majors. I don't know about others, but at my other major (German) we register for courses during the first week by simply going to the first class, and if there are more students than places, the teacher draws to decide who can get in.

As far as I know, I'm not the only student at SEAS who has to miss lectures and fails to register for certain courses because of time clashes between two majors.

I think what SEAS could do to help us is giving double-major students priority over those with just one major in the preregistration procedure. There could be several ways to do this, either by adding 1 or 2 letters to our category or, for a start, just by giving us priority over single-major students with the same category.

This system would be a great help to all of us and I would be glad if you would consider introducing it.

Thank you for your attention