ELTE SEAS

Discussion Forum
It is currently Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:03 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 11:25 am 

Thank you for all the replies. I can relax now. 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 9:01 am 

Slight changes in topic titles have never been an issue. In fact, most supervisors (including me) suggest that the thesis writer submit a broad, general title which can then be narrowed down, e.g., Consonant clusters in English later submitted as The four-member intervocalic consonant clusters of English. In case of a dispute the thesis host (the relevant head of dept at SEAS) decides whether the title is significantly changed or not.

Well, this was the situation last year, but I did not see substantial changes in the HKR (as the TVSz is called nowadays).

Post subject: Re: Changing the thesis title just a bit
PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 2:49 am 

Adam Dobay wrote:
After conducting some preliminary analysis for my thesis, I've been reconsidering narrowing down my thesis topic, and I'm wondering if that requires an additional semester to wait before handing my thesis in. I've read the corresponding parts of the Hallgatói Követelményrendszer, but it only talks about choosing a new topic entirely, not changing a topic by a little. I don't want to extend my otherwise lovely stay at the university by one more semester so I'm wondering if there's a difference between a little change and an entire change.

all the below is true (R_Gabor), but. If you do want to write your thesis on the field of the submitted thesis title, only a narrowed topic, you can do the following trick. You leave the original title as the title of your thesis but you can add a subtitle which specifies the "real" topic. This piece of advice is given by prof. Eco in Hogyan irjunk szakdolgozatot. Good luck.

angol SzHÉK
angolszhek@gmail.com
http//angolszhek.uw.hu

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 2:26 am 

If it's a little change, you could just tell the faculty guys that you misspelled something on the form and would they please get it and let you correct it.

Otherwise, here's what the Big Red Book has to say on the subject:

BTK TVSz 2005 wrote:
(4) A témaválasztás és a záróvizsga időpontja között
a) hat féléves képzés esetén legalább 6 hónapnak,
b) nyolc féléves vagy annál hosszabb képzés esetén legalább 12 hónapnak
kell eltelnie.

(5) A záródolgozat témáját, témavezetőjét a szakért felelős oktatási szervezeti egység vezetője, a kari szabályzatban meghatározott más személy, illetve megbízottja hagyja jóvá, az esetleges titkosság engedélyezésével együtt.

(6) A hallgató jogosult a záródolgozat témáját megváltoztatni, de a változtatás időpontja és a záróvizsga időpontja között
a) hat féléves képzés esetén legalább 4 hónapnak,
b) nyolc féléves vagy annál hosszabb képzés esetén legalább 8 hónapnak
kell eltelnie.
A szakfelelős ezt az időtartamot szükség esetén a (4) bekezdésben meghatározott időtartamra meghoszszabbíthatja.

(7) A hallgató második és minden további témaváltoztatása esetén, valamint a hallgatói jogviszony megszűnését kö-vetően az Egyetem témavezetőt nem köteles biztosítani.

(8) A jóváhagyott témát és témavezetőt a kari tanulmányi hivatalban be kell jelenteni, és ezeket a leckekönyvbe be kell jegyezni.

Bad luck, though I like the guy number 8 turned into, mocking the Faculty so that I don't have to :)

Still, I suggest you double-check with them, I always get a feeling they own another edition.

Post subject: Changing the thesis title just a bit
PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 8:10 pm 

After conducting some preliminary analysis for my thesis, I've been reconsidering narrowing down my thesis topic, and I'm wondering if that requires an additional semester to wait before handing my thesis in. I've read the corresponding parts of the Hallgatói Követelményrendszer, but it only talks about choosing a new topic entirely, not changing a topic by a little. I don't want to extend my otherwise lovely stay at the university by one more semester so I'm wondering if there's a difference between a little change and an entire change.