ELTE SEAS

Discussion Forum
It is currently Sun Nov 19, 2017 1:30 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 98 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
 Post subject: re: ETR exam
PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2004 5:55 pm 

Thank you very much. It's quite a relief :-) I am much calmer now...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2004 5:47 pm 

Currently, you have to register only on seas3. If you have to register on the ETR (i) I will let you know, and (ii) you won't have to do so on seas3.

Post subject: ETR exams
PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2004 5:26 pm 

About exams: do we have to register for them via szigetva's system AND via ETR as well? I must confess that I am totally confused :-/[/img]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2004 11:31 pm 

Probably registration for SEAS courses will be open in the ETR way before the first week of term. Thus anybody can register (even by accident). I believe that registration in the ETR has legal consequences, which the registering student can base claims on. Perhaps we can here work out a scheme to avoid such situations.

Also students from other majors, faculties or universities will also be able to register through the ETR. I wonder how that system puts them after SEAS students (which is what happens now that such students can't preregister).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2004 10:59 pm 

Well, I'm not sure that registration should cause any problems. It could be arranged, that people should only register for classes in the ETR after the prereg procedure ended, till the end of the registration period (no ranking). The Registrar should check the similarity of the index books & ETR registrations anyway + the teachers should also check (and modify) the lists of their courses (as far as I know they have to) & compare it with the results of the prereg. Why would anybody register for a course that he/she cannot attend, and probably would only cause problems?

Post subject: Re: Question about ETR
PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2004 9:25 pm 

Ancsur2002 wrote:
Will seas course and exams registration be a victim of the ETR? :?:

Disclaimer: I have not used the ETR, I only read some documentation about it.

As far as I see (and as ndf notes) preregistration for courses is not available in the ETR. That system has registration right away. In some implementations there is ranking (e.g., at TTK people get bonus points for certain things), but in others (e.g., at PPK) the system works in a first-come-first-served basis. This I think is totally unfair to people who don't have immediate access to the web. The advantage of ETR, however, is that it works in real time, i.e., you know whether your registration was successful or not right away. With the SEAS system we gather requests and work out an optimal organization only at the end. The problem I see with keeping the SEAS preregistration system is that if students have to register for courses in the ETR, it is very difficult to arrange that exactly those students register, who have successfully preregistered and personally registered on the first week. It is hard to imagine that the Registrar (TO) would appreciate us retaining the current scheme.

As for exams registration, I think the ETR will do the job just as our current system, though it will probably be less flexible, both in list closing times and in an unlimited possibility for deregistration.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2004 7:27 pm 

Well, as a TTK student (also), I have been using the ETR for more than a year. I think, that the service for which the prereg sys was made is not available in the ETR (it does some kind of ranking, but not as szigetva's sys). I think, therefore, that it will stay (the other things are all included in the ETR, so I don't think that those will). However, I'm only a user, so I'm not competent... :)

Post subject: Question about ETR
PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2004 7:10 pm 

Will seas course and exams registration be a victim of the ETR?
Or can we stay with this system?
I (and lots of my friends) would like to have this little "island" out of ETR is it possible?
do you know anything about the future?
:?:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 98 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7