ELTE SEAS

Discussion Forum
It is currently Sun Nov 19, 2017 9:29 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 98 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject: a different point of view...
PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2005 5:22 pm 

Even if our first reaction might be blaming ETR itself for the terrible experiences we have had, I believe all these problems arise not due to the ineptitude of ETR, but because incorrect or insufficient course details have been fed to ETR due to either of these reasons (or both):

A) laziness or deadlines or whatever
B) broken-down communication between ETR staff and those who provide course details to ETR

Simply put, it's the human factor. ETR is nothing new. It has been around for years, and other departments of ELTE have been using it. It's only BTK that entered it this term. We had the same problems when I was at IK (Informatikai Kar). The department submitted its requests, and just nothing happenned for ages ... and even then, not quite what we expected. :(

Don't misunderstand me, I'm not suggesting we should be smily and happy with the way things are, and I'm not even involved in ETR, it's just that I think the deadline for registering for courses should have been put off by at least a week to allow for some sort of double-checking or more precise work. :?:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2005 10:13 am 

szigetva wrote:
But with the problem stack collecting in the problem ETR topic in hand I will visit BTK TO on Tuesday and make it clear that they simply cannot close the system on the 25th. That's all I can do.

Thank you for that.
Maybe another thing you might be able to tell them is that the one-on-one visiting of the TO will most probably not work, as there are hundreds of cases of the same problem only with SEAS students, not to mention others. This would mean weeks, not two days, of standing in line if everyone's courses are to be solved.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2005 10:08 am 

Adam Dobay wrote:
It doesn't work even if you register for the weak prerequisite first.
Okay, that means it's a bug. I can't even try the system, since I have no student account. But with the problem stack collecting in the problem ETR topic in hand I will visit BTK TO on Tuesday and make it clear that they simply cannot close the system on the 25th. That's all I can do.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2005 10:02 am 

szigetva,

It doesn't work even if you register for the weak prerequisite first.

Now my problem is that the TO will accept these problems from Wednesday. We have until Friday to offload our indexes. It is clear that there are hundreds, possibly a thousand people with the exact same problem. Are they exactly sure they want to take those students one by one? We have to go to our classes, we cannot spend another week standing in line! This is outrageous.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2005 9:09 am 

i certainly hope that no sensible teacher/administrator will take one's 'Teljessegvizsgalat' list for granted on the ETR since it's a stinking pile really. i've completed all but two AN units ages ago and several of them are missing from my 'Teljessegvizsgalat' screen as if i'm a sophomore.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2005 6:56 pm 

I simply hate the whole system!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2005 4:23 pm 

I have a similar problem (can't register for more than one 362 course)... The funny thing is that I can actually register for the second one as an "általános kurzus"... :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2005 3:21 pm 

Another point where ETR doesn't understand the system. I hope those in charge will realize that that this is not even a beta-test version yet and will not wish to take the results for real. All these problems result from the way our curricula (tanegyseglista) were fed to ETR. I don't know who did it and why SEAS wasn't ever asked about it.

Post subject: 300 code courses
PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2005 3:14 pm 

I am wondering why I cannot register for more than one 300 course...If I register for, say, 312.34, it does not let me register for 312.70 (the numbers might not be the real courses, I just made them up, it is an example).
The ETR says that I already registered for one 312 course, and I cannot register for more...This is really annoying, I need to register for my courses. :(

Also, the strange thing is that my grades have not been entered yet, but the grade that is a prerequisite of the 300 courses have, so at least that's something positive :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2005 3:05 pm 

Clearly, the problem is that ETR cannot distinguish strong and weak prerequisites. Or perhaps it does but only allows you to take course X if you have a mark for all its strong prerequisites and have registered for its weak prerequisites before (cf. ETVSz 40). Perhaps you should register for the weak prerequisites first? Just guessing. (It was pretty obvious that the shit will hit the fan.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2005 3:00 pm 

Um, i can not register for neither TOLC2 nor comprehensive examination of literature, because i'm doing some weak requiremets this semester, like modern british literature and advanced writing 2..... What shall i do? Ask TO? or 'diáktanácsadó'? This thing doesn't work at all....

Oh, by the way i've just heared some news: if you are not accepted by etr but the tutor signed your index, you may have to ask for a 'befogadási nyilatkozat' and go to questura office, where they put you on the list on etr. This is the latest. I hope it is a true information.
Good luck!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2005 2:31 pm 

cattleya wrote:
Thank you very much for replying.This whole ETR system is such hopeless for us students as well. I completely understand teachers' situation, it really should be the resitrar's task to register grades as before. May this system work at BTK somehow, sooner or later... :)

Well, the situation is that once the system will start working properly, it won't be so problematic for the techers to register the grades, at least that is my experience (at TTK). Anyway, my 261 grade (only!) was somehow registered in the ETR, so at least one teacher did manage to complete the task. :D 8)

Post subject: Lectures on ETR? SOS!
PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2005 12:41 pm 

I've been dreading this moment, and now ETR finally opened for me too...:evil:

Well, I have a number of problems:
- Firstly my Language practice tutor didn't record my mark in ETR thus I'm not able to take the next LangPrac as a course as I don't have the strong prereq.
I've just read Mr Szigetvari's previous post about sending the marks on paper to the Registrar. But that means that I won't have my marks in the ETR by next weeks thus I won't be able to take my courses there thus...? What is it with comparing the markbook and the ETR - my courses won't be valid??
Argh, I'm lost.

- PLUS I'm not able to take ANY lectures with prereq. The system says that I didn't accomplish the seminar course.
Of course I didn't accomplish that - I take that this semester, too!!
Maybe the problem is that the prereq. for eg. 213 is 214 - and I don't take a 214 but a 214/G!!! Maybe - or it is only the ETR being stupid.

Am I the only unfortunate one with this problem? :x

Well, now I realize why my PPK friends claim that the ETR is worse than the boogey man...

Please, help!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2005 10:41 pm 

Thank you very much for replying.This whole ETR system is such hopeless for us students as well. I completely understand teachers' situation, it really should be the resitrar's task to register grades as before. May this system work at BTK somehow, sooner or later... :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2005 10:10 pm 

SEAS (and I assume all other depts at BTK) got to know in January that it was our task to register marks in the ETR, a system none of us had any previous experience with. Since courses were not associated with teachers in that system, this was clearly impossible. Ever since most of SEAS staff has spent long hours trying to register marks. (Our job descriptions include things like teaching classes, examining students and doing research. The registration of marks is, as far as I can tell, the task of the Registrar, hence their name). Many course lists are not in the ETR, many students are not on the course lists. We have given up and are sending all marks on paper to the Registrar. This will probably cause further delay in getting them into the system, for which we are truly sorry, but cannot take any responsibility. I find it most cynical that the Registrar is pointing fingers at teachers.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 98 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next