ELTE SEAS

Discussion Forum
It is currently Fri Nov 24, 2017 2:06 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 101 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next

After a careful examination of the documents attached, which of the two systems offered in appendix 1 do you prefer?
Poll ended at Thu Sep 29, 2005 11:27 am
TTK system 43%  43%  [ 31 ]
PPK system 21%  21%  [ 15 ]
they look equal to me 3%  3%  [ 2 ]
I know of a better one 33%  33%  [ 24 ]
Total votes : 72
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2005 12:28 am 

Dear All,

The poll has finished, let me summarize briefly.

The TTK system, with the mazli feature, seems to be more desirable than the PPK system, with the first-come-first-served feature. This means SEAS will argue for mazli.

However (and this also appears to be the majority view of those who cared to be here), ETR does not seem to be ready for taking over the process. We are past two runs of course registration and neither was smooth enough to warrant the transfer of course preregistration, which is much more time sensitive than the registration you had to do in the past weeks. Accordingly, we will probably have SEAS preregistration in January, unless there is a real guarantee that all the relevant data are well-entered in the ETR.

Thank you for participating.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 11:22 pm 

So it seems that we should stuck to seas :D

I wish we could! :(

Any news about the result of our little discussion here? I guess I's some time around these days that wonderful ETR staff decides about our future...

Anyway, I state in full knowledge of my rights :D that the seas system is the best one I've ever seen or used, and that I'd like to express my thanx to Mr Szigetvari and all the others who kept it together. I also hope that changing to ETR won't mean us having no one to turn to, and that -- although I know that seas people have no control over ETR -- I will be able to ask for help & consolation here.

At first entering the seas homepage a year ago, I was wondering how linguists and literature teachers (no harm meant! I soon realized how wonderful guys you all are) had been able to build a system that worked so much better than any one that anyone at IK could build. So it's been amazing, and I'm so sad to lose it. Congratulations to all, and thanx for this relaxed year without 'versenyjelentkezes' and all the rest.

Bye,

flower

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 10:07 pm 

kbetti wrote:
... when preregistration is on, my other major's timetable is not available, only appr. 2 days before the deadline of preregistration. In this way I lag behind because I cannot choose in time ...
... If it could be solved that prereg started a little bit later, it would be ok for a number of people that are in a situation like this.

I think that seas preregistraton is the best I have met so far.
I also get my other major's quite fixed timetable only 2 days before deadline, but it's just enough for me to adjust the English classes to it. - Though I go to the fixing of the classes with the English courselist in my pocket so that I can protest if I couldn't fit the classes into my timetable.

Moreover, as preregistration at seas is not on a first-come-first-served basis, we don't get handicapped just because we sign in only the morning of the last day.

Finally, if I wouldn't get the other timetable but only a few days after, it wouldn't be too bad either, as we can always check the preregistration statistics so that we can see which classes are managable to get in.

Thus there is no point in starting the preregistration later

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 1:25 pm 

Korinnka wrote:
I really don't like either the TTK or the PPK version, but if I REALLY must state my preference, I would say the PPK version is SOMEWHAT simpler...

I wouldn't care of simplicity but usability though.

angol SzHÉK
angolszhek@gmail.com
http//angolszhek.uw.hu

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 1:05 pm 

Well, prereg is fine for me for the most part... However, it would be really nice if the two systems -- prereg and ETR -- would be combined. If there would be a method that could filter out all courses I have either completed or for which I lack a prerequisite, that would be a real help, so I could see what courses I'm eligible for. Also, I think an idea of a first-come-first-served system would cause nightmares for students without a proper (read: day-to-day) internet connection, so IMHO that should really be out of the question.

One thing that would be nice is a two-step wizard in which at the first step you could choose the seminars you want to attend, and only by course code, then in step 2 it would list the time alternatives for each seminar selected, so I could work out my preliminary schedule much easier, without having to scroll back and forth on a long list to check time conflicts.

This also brings up the possibility of a really useful thing: right now, the system is based on priorities and strengths for each course separately. In a bad scenario the "winning" courses could end up being in time-conflict with each other. So maybe there should be some sort of grouping the preference numbers together, like creating a most-preferred timetable, a preferred one and a least-preferred one, in which there would be no overlaps; I understand the programming task would be a nightmare, but we're just brainstorming here, ain't we? ;)

cheers

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 12:22 pm 

My only problem is that I cannot really use well this system,
because when preregistration is on, my other major's timetable is not
available, only appr. 2 days before the deadline of preregistration. In
this way I lag behind because I cannot choose in time, because the
timetable of my other major is bound, not so free as here. So I have to
wait, because I have to see first my bound timetable, then choose the
English courses not to clash the others.
If it could be solved that prereg started a little bit later, it would be ok
for a number of people that are in a situation like this.

Thank you: Bettina Kajári

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 11:50 am 

I think the present seas system works quite well and I can hardly understand the need to change it, but if it's a must I'd vote for the TTK-system. Normally things work better there than in BTK or PPK and after reading the files it seems simpler and friendlier.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 10:13 am 

Well, I am also one of those people who just can't understand either methods... As far as I'm concerned, I am very happy with the SEAS prereg system. It works, unlike ETR most of the time 8)

I really don't like either the TTK or the PPK version, but if I REALLY must state my preference, I would say the PPK version is SOMEWHAT simpler...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 9:00 am 

szigetva wrote:
KGB wrote:
So, for instance, if you would like to attend ANN-112/a very much, and your rank is 45, you would be able to add e.g. 9 points to your rank, and by that, you would get to the top of the list. And of course, you wouldn't be able to add 9 points to another ANN-112/x course, just 8, 7 and so on (like in SEAS now).
I think I see what you mean. I doubt this could be implemented in the TTK system. The preference values of the SEAS system are relative to each other for one given student, not to the preference values of other students.
I think this answers your query. I still can't think of how this could be done in the ETR, it has a different philosophy. But if anyone comes up with a working implementation...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 8:52 am 

Hi everybody!

I was so happy to see that more and more new people joins this discussion!

I just wanted to point out the idea, which for me seemed to solve at least one of the major problems connected to etr. I'm talking about the possibility of adding preference points to our rank points.

I mainly ask szigetva, or anyone else who feels that he can answer my question, whether this method is possible at all technically?

If yes, maybe we should ask the etr staff about their opinion!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 8:59 pm 

Adam Dobay wrote:
I would like to ask all posters to direct their technical questions to the Technical Questions topic in the Questions and suggestions forum and try to get the hang of the basic workings of the forum before asking about those features in this topic which is solely for the discussion of the preregistration system. Please let's keep this topic consistently on-topic.

Sorry :oops: I just felt it messy to write in such a messy way :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 8:34 pm 

I would like to ask all posters to direct their technical questions to the Technical Questions topic in the Questions and suggestions forum and try to get the hang of the basic workings of the forum before asking about those features in this topic which is solely for the discussion of the preregistration system. Please let's keep this topic consistently on-topic.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 8:32 pm 

sara wrote:
And SEAS and ETR are PPK and TTK, or yet another thing? Because that did not become clear when I read the appendices (which I did some hours ago)

The SEAS (http://seas3.elte.hu) preregistration system is the system you use to preregister for courses in whichever English major you are in.
The ETR (http://etr.elte.hu) is what you use to register for BTK, PPK, TTK and all other classes and do administrative work in. It does not yet involve preregistration for courses for BTK.

Here we are trying to decide what preregistration system would be good in ETR, and trying to influence the decision by expressing our opinions on what features should be saved from SEAS to ETR when preregistration is introduced for BTK.
The PPK and TTK systems are two templates, something resembling either of which may be introduced at BTK.

I hope I could make that clear.[/url]

Last edited by Adam Dobay on Tue Sep 27, 2005 8:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 8:16 pm 

flowerstar wrote:
by the way... how can I answer people? So that they would know it's 4 them? My last "answer" was meant 4 Adam Dobay :lol:

Hit quote at the top-right-corner of their message.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 8:15 pm 

flowerstar wrote:
by the way... how can I answer people? So that they would know it's 4 them? My last "answer" was meant 4 Adam Dobay :lol:

Use "idézet" when you read their message and reply underneath it, like I did just now

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 101 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next