The methodology of teaching English as a foreign language 2
(Az angoltanítás módszertana 2.) in spring 2015
, Mon 15:30–17:00, Wed 10:15–11:45
, R440, R444
seminar, 60 h/term; weak prereq: TANM-ANG-107L
description & set texts
Aims: This two-term course is intended to enable trainees to:
- achieve an understanding of the principles of language teaching and learning
- acquire practical teaching skills in a sheltered, supportive group environment
- relate classroom practice to learning/ teaching theories and principles
- develop knowledge and skills related to planning appropriate learning experiences for the students, at both the primary and secondary levels
- develop the communication skills specific to the role of language teacher, e.g. giving instructions, feedback etc.
- become reflective practitioners as a basis for on-going professional development.
Topics for 2nd term:
Integrating the four basic skills
Teaching vocabulary and related skills
Teaching structures and functions
Evaluation and assessment
Teaching young learners
Course planning and the Hungarian context.
Students are required to be familiar with the following comprehensive works:
Harmer, J. 2007, The Practice of English Language Teaching. 4th edition, UK: Pearson Longman;
Ur, P. 1996, A Course in Language Teaching. Cambridge: CUP.
requirements & assessment
Assessment will be based on course participation and assignments. Details will be negotiated with tutors as part of the course.
Tasks & Assignments:
2 school visits (observation, reflection)
Microteaching (planning in pairs)
Activity file (portfolio)
1 or 2 tests based on readings (chosen by tutor from the reading list)