(Haladó mondattan) in spring 2015
Lázár A. Péter
, Mon 10:00–11:30
, D ép nagyelőadó
lecture, 30 h/term; weak prereq: BBN-ANG-251
description & set texts
This advanced syntax course will be more phenomena-based than an explanation-seeking one.
Lots of phenomena, including movement types, which are partly communicatively motivated, will be introduced and (hopefully) amply illustrated.
Topics will include:
- Verb classification; Aspect and aktionsart; Event structure; Verb types: unaccusatives, ergatives, light verbs, transitives, passives, intransitives;
- The sentence as S, IP, and CP; Split CP
- Movement types; Question types; Wh-movement;
- Relative clauses: restrictive, finite wh-, that, 0, sentential; Infinitival relatives: wh-, for, 0; Headless relatives; Nonrestrictive relative clauses; Pied Piping & Preposition stranding in relatives & questions
- Relative clauses vs. cleft sentences
- Complementation of Adjectives by Nonfinite clauses
- Extraposition; Heavy NP shift;
- Topicalization; Focus; Negative fronting; Left/right dislocation
- Small Clauses; "Bare infinitive" clauses; Exceptional Clauses
- Control vs. raising
The Course Schedule and the weekly topics will be available at http://seas3.elte.hu/coursematerial/LazarAPeter/index.html
under 2015 Advanced syntax lecture.
Please bring along your lecture handouts every time.
requirements & assessment
Multiple choice written exam based on your lecture notes.