The lectures provide a survey of the defining periods, events and main turning-points in the history of England and the United Kingdom as a whole from the beginnings to our own time. Due to the extremely condensed nature of this survey course, often painful priorities have had to be made.
It is important to note that every second semester (the current term included) the lectures are accompanied by extensive audio visual material organically integrated into the given topic of the lecture. The pictorial and sound material will form part of the sources of the examination.
The following subject areas will be discussed during the lectures:
1. Outlines of Roman Britain. Anglo-Saxon England c. 450 to 1066.
2. The Norman Conquest and the early feudal system 1066-1199.
3. Magna Carta and the early parliaments 1208-1295.
4. The Hundred Years’ War: causes, history and consequences. The Great Plague, The Peasants’ Rising and Wycliffe.
5. Tudor England: Henry VII, Henry VIII, Elizabeth I.
6. Cromwell’s revolution, restoration, and the Williamite settlement (Glorious Revolution) 1642-1690.
7. Georgian Britain: the industrial, social and political revolution of the 18th century.
8. The rise of Victorian Britain: Party politics.
9. The rise and decline of Victorian Britain: The British Empire, Crises in Ireland.
10. The road to the First World War. The Great War and its consequences for the British political, social and economic scene.
11. Britain during the Inter-war years; Appeasement.
12. Great Britain and the Second World War. The Beveridge Report (1920-1945).
13. The post-war Labour government and its achievements; the Suez Crisis, 1956. The post-war consensus in Britain until 1979.
14. Margaret Thatcher’s economic and social revolution (1979-1990) and its legacy to the present day.
Compulsory reading list:
Frank, Tibor and Tamás Magyarics. Handouts for British History. A Study Guide and Workbook, Budapest: Nemzeti Tankönyvkiadó, 1994.
Roberts, C and D. A History of England, 3rd edition, 2 vols, Englewood Cliffs, New York: Prentice-Hall, 1998.
Plumb, J H et al eds. The English Heritage, St. Louis, Missouri: Forum Press, 1978.
Schama, Simon. A History of Britain, 3 vols, London: BBC, 2003.
Lee, Christopher. This Sceptred Isle, London: Penguin, 1998.
Lee, Christopher. This Sceptred Isle. The 20th Century, London: Penguin, 2000.
Davies, Norman. The Isles: A History, London: Macmillan, 1999.
Hobsbawm, E.J. Industry and Empire, London: Weidenfeld and Nicolson, 1968.
Williams, Glyn and John Ramsden. Ruling Britannia: A Political History of Britain, 1688-1988, London: Longman, 1990.
Elton, Geoffrey R. England Under the Tudors, London: Methuen & Co Ltd, 1955.
Feiling, Keith. A History of England: From the Coming of the English to 1918, London, Macmillan, 1950.
Marr, Andrew. A History of Modern Britain, London: Macmillan, 2007.
Stenton, F M. Anglo-Saxon England, Oxford: The Clarendon Press, 1943.
Trevelyan, George Macaulay. History of England, London: Longmans, Green and Co., 1926, 1937.