minutes of the 2016-09-13 meeting of
the Department of English Linguistics,
Eötvös Loránd University, Budapest
- Marcel den Dikken, core member
- Hordós Marianna, core member
- Kiss Zoltán, core member
- Lázár A. Péter, core member
- Marosán Lajos, core member
- Newson, Mark, core member
- Szécsényi Krisztina, core member
- Szigetvári Péter, core member, chair
- Törkenczy Miklós, core member
- Barabás Gergő, teaching assistant
- Csonka Boglárka, teaching assistant
- Hanzséros Mária, departmental secretary
- Horváth Mihály, student representative
- Jankó Katalin, teaching assistant
- Szigetvári welcomes the department in the new term.
- The new teaching assistant introduce themselves.
- Dr Nádasdy will retire next February, and has decided to spend the last six months of his employment without courses. Dr Starčević has asked for a term off after many years of selfless service to SEAS. His courses were taken over by doctoral students, Benkő, Jánosy, Kucsera, Őri. The department is grateful for their fast help. Dr Starčević’s administrative duties were partly taken over by Dr Szalay of DES, partly by other members of SEAS.
- This term DELG had an unusually large demand for the core phonology seminar as compared to the core syntax seminar. This has partly been met by raising the number of groups and the quotas of all groups. This also forecasts a larger demand for syntax in the spring term. The intro courses appear to be evenly populated.
- This term 20 September, 10 and 11 November will be without classes. The 130th anniversary conference of SEAS will take place on the latter two days, the organizers are still expecting abstracts for presentation from both faculty and doctoral students.
- The deadline for submitting papers to this year’s Even Yearbook is approaching (30 Sept). The editors are expecting contributions.
- The department has discussed the problem of entering examination results in a later term for students whose registration for a course has been cancelled due to lack of prerequisites. The consensus is that this practice makes weak prerequisites meaningless. Therefore the department will overview the system of current prerequisites and propose the deletion of any that is not necessary.
- Dr Den Dikken asks Horváth about any developments on the NYEKK conference planned for this term. Horváth promises an update in the near future.
- Dr Hordós asks the faculty to encourage student to submit their work to the spring 2017 edition of OTDK. Local presentations will have to take place in November.
minutes kept by Péter Szigetvári
verified by Zoltán G Kiss
last touched 2016-09-13 22:05:49 +0200