minutes of the 2015-02-17 meeting of
the Department of English Linguistics,
Eötvös Loránd University, Budapest
- Hordós Marianna, core member
- Kiss Zoltán, core member
- Lázár A. Péter, core member
- Marosán Lajos, core member
- Nádasdy Ádám, core member
- Newson, Mark, core member
- Starčević Attila, core member
- Szigetvári Péter, core member, chair
- Gőcze Borbála, teaching assistant
- Horváth Mihály, student representative
- Lipusz Kinga, teaching assistant
- Szécsényi Krisztina, core member
- Varga László, professor emeritus
- Szigetvári welcomes the participants of the meeting, especially
Dr Szécsényi, who will join the Department in a few days. Törkenczy
has excused himself.
- Szigetvári’s mandate as head will expire in June, anybody
interested in taking over the position should soon come forward.
- Government regulations have halved the number of English BA
students the University can take next autumn.
- The mandate of the Faculty’s dean expires in June, it appears
that there are two or three candidates for the post.
- This year the Faculty provides financial support for PhD
students to attend conferences. Members of the Department are asked
to encourage students to apply.
- The School is planning to engage in a large scale international
project on language policy (the role of English and other languages
in Europe). Anybody interested in participating may contact
- A separate meeting is scheduled for 24 February to discuss
details of the reorganization of the Linguistic Theory MA
- Kiss, Törkenczy, and Szigetvári are involved in organizing the
2016 episode of the Old World Conference in Phonology (OCP). They
ask for the support of the Department.
- Newson is involved in organizing the 2015 episode of Olomouc
Linguistics Colloquium (Olinco), dependent on the Faculty’s
financial help. He asks for the support of the Department.
- Marosán expresses his objections against the current practice of
asking comprehensive questions of MA students at their final
examinations. He proposes that these examinations should
concentrate on much narrower fields. This issue is above the
competence of the Department.
minutes kept by Péter Szigetvári
verified by Attila Starčević
last touched 2015-02-18 13:08:31 +0100