minutes of the 2013-02-19 meeting of
the Department of English Linguistics,
Eötvös Loránd University, Budapest
- Hordós Marianna, core member
- Kiss Zoltán, core member
- Lázár A. Péter, core member
- Marosán Lajos, core member
- Nádasdy Ádám, core member
- Newson, Mark, core member
- Skriba Orsolya, student representative
- Starčević Attila, core member
- Steiner László, student representative
- Szigetvári Péter, core member, chair
- Törkenczy Miklós, core member
- Varga László, core member
- Hanzséros Mária, department secretary
- Szigetvári welcomes the department in the new term.
- Personal issues: Judit Farkas has left the University in November 2012 with mutual consent.
- Scores of students have “disappeared” during course registration, leaving some of our courses without the required quota. Other departments have experienced the same. We believe this is due to students skipping the term as a result of the severe malfunctioning of the new electronic administrative system, Neptun. Under these circumstances members of the department will not cancel any of their under-quota courses.
- The Department has received three theses in December. Twelve were announced last October, this is the approximate figure of theses we are expecting to be submitted in the spring term.
- A new, 5-year teacher training course (OTAK) is in the making. Its first phase will include five of the Department’s courses: the introduction to linguistics seminar (132), the two foundations lectures (141 and 151), and the two core seminars (242 and 252), as well as either of the two advanced lectures (243 or 253) as an elective course. This requires that the foundations lectures be independent of the core and advanced lectures (241 and 251, 243 and 253, respectively). The latter two pairs are independent of each other since students of the American track do not take the advanced lectures.
- On xeroxing: Nádasdy corroborates that in January András Kóczán has promised that xeroxing will be possible in the Dean’s office not only in the exam period, but during the whole term.
- Varga lists the term’s BuPhoC events and doctoral seminars. Slots are available in March and May.
minutes kept by Péter Szigetvári
countersigned by Attila Starčević
last touched 2013-02-24 17:12:43 +0100