minutes of the 2012-09-18 meeting of
the Department of English Linguistics,
Eötvös Loránd University, Budapest
- Hordós Marianna, core member
- Kiss Zoltán, core member
- Lázár A. Péter, core member
- Marosán Lajos, core member
- Nádasdy Ádám, core member
- Newson, Mark, core member
- Skriba Orsolya, student representative
- Starčević Attila, core member
- Szigetvári Péter, core member
- Törkenczy Miklós, core member
- Varga László, core member
- Hanzséros Mária, department secretary
- Jánosy Márton, teaching assistant
- Szabó Ildikó Emese, teaching assistant
- Szalay Tünde, teaching assistant
- Széll Zsófia, teaching assistant
- Szigetvári welcomes the department in the new term. All but one members of the department are present. Judit Farkas did not excuse her absence.
- Personal issues: Ádám Nádasdy was appointed professor of the university. The Department congratulate Professor Nádasdy. László Varga is going to retire at the end of the academic year. The Department compiles a list of people to succeed to his position.
- Due to the unexpectedly large number of new students, the Department had to launch four extra introductory seminars. Szigetvári presents a list of the number of hours each staff member has given in the past two and the current term.
- The Department surveys the BA theses that have been defended in the spring term. Of these six were assessed 5, four 4, and three 3. Last year the Department exceptionally awarded two Outstanding Thesis Awards to Márton Kucsera’s BA and Tamás Káldi’s MA theses. Paper lists of the Department’s BA thesis topics will be distributed to students at the advanced phonology and syntax lecture courses.
- Kiss, Szigetvári, and Törkenczy, as well as Zsuzsanna Bárkányi (Spanish Department), László Kálmán and Péter Rebrus (Research Institute for Linguistics) have submitted a successful OTKA grant application for 2013–2016.
- Each member of the Department has to give a minimum period of four hours Monday to Friday on the addendance sheets.
- The MTMT bibliographical database has to be filled with each researcher’s data as soon as possible. The system is not fully functional and also rather counterintuitive. Conversion from the SEAS database seems possible.
- Varga describes this term’s BuPhoC events and doctoral seminars. Nádasdy proposes that the Department invite members of the Applied Linguistics Department for talks. Hordós tells the Department that the deadline for submitting papers to the spring National Student Conference is 5 November, before which the papers have to be presented to and discussed by the Department. 17 October is assigned for this purpose.
minutes kept by Péter Szigetvári
countersigned by Attila Starčević
last touched 2012-10-07 20:47:01 +0200